1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Attaching a coin to leather chord, thus forming a pendant?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. yoshi


    Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi all! A dear friend recently gave me a coin and I thought I'd forge it into a rad' necklace/pendant by attaching it to a strip of leather (necklace chord stuff) that I have.

    I've messed around with it trying to get the coin to become secure within the chord but all to no avail. I'm not willing to drill a hole or physically 'harm' the o-cherised coin whatsoever

    Anyone know of any decent knots (or other methods) that may suffice? If you do just say and I'll look up instructions on line! thanks!
  2. Unfortunately since the coin is round (I assume), I can't readily think of a knot that would both secure the coin and still not obscure the coin's detail. ny amount of tension will slip, as the leather has nothing to secure to. Most glue will either not bond, or bond too well...and those are usually pricey. Superglue would work, but being a mechanical bond, doesn't have very good resistance to shock. You could do a basic x-over knot and superglue it at the points you want it to pass over the coin...that might work. Just glue the edge, and not the face.

    What kind of coin is it???

    I did this same thing once with an Asian coin that had a square hole thru the center of it. That was way easy to do, and looked the part very well.
  3. DigMe


    Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If you really want it bad you could probably get a jeweler to solder a loop onto the top of the coin to pass a chain or the leather through. It probably wouldn't cost too much.

    brad cook

  4. That too!
  5. Thor

    Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

    The are some coin/stamp dealers that sell accessories.

    There is a device which is a clamp that goes around the rim of the coin and has a set screw at the top with a loop.
    You sometimes see coin jewelry with this type of fastening.
    It is called a coin bezel.

    Here is a link

    Hope that helps.
  6. yoshi


    Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Thanks a lot for the info :) The coin is aluminium, so soldering is out of the question :'O(

    I think the bezel option is the best route to take, thanks Thor! I'm heading into town for passport photos (oh joy!) tomorow so I'll take a quick trip to the local jewellers and see what they can do :)
  7. What kind of coin is it? Just curious... you've brought the long buried coin/stamp collecting nerd out of me...

  8. yoshi


    Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    It's a shiny 1 yen coin, all the way from the land of the rising sumo..I mean sun. ;) My Japanese friend posted me one (in exchange for one of Englands finest shiny pennies!).

    So technically it's 'worthless' to the collector, but means a lot to me! Hence me not wanting to 'harm' it in anyway :p Stupid I know :oops:
  9. Timbo


    Jun 14, 2004
    Meh.. Your your TB name is Yoshi. So s'all good. :D