attaching body wings to a neckthrough blank

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by K-Frog, Jul 12, 2002.

1. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Howzit done?
    Do you just glue it and clamp it up or wouldn't it make more sense to use my biscuit joiner for this?
  2. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Maybe its luthier snobbery but there is no reason to use biscuits (except for nourishment) in the luthier world. Biscuits are good for tables and picture frames and other products which might night get the same attention to joinery that good luthiers practice. A properly machined joint and good glue will be just fine. You might want to devise some way to keep things from slipping when you glue them though. A partially driven staple from a staple gun with the horizontal section snipped off will give you some nice points to bite into the body wing. Just make sure you put the staples in an area that won't be routed. (thanks Rick Turner!)
  3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Biscuits will keep the joint aligned and the surfaces from slipping, but no additional strength than a butt joint is necessary.

Personally, I use pins, but I may end up getting a biscuit jointer just to simplify aligning the joint.
  4. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Yeah, the biscuit joiner would get the process closer to "goof proof", provided you know what you're doing with the joiner. It would definitely simplify clamping.
  5. joeviau

Jul 9, 2002
    Rhode Island
    An interesting tip that I read in one of the shop magazines....

If you want to align the neck and wing sections easily when you glue, first take a couple of BBs from a BB gun and some Scotch tape. Tape a BB on one end of the side of the body section of the neck-through near where the bottom end of one wing will go, about an inch in. Then, do the same for the top end of the wing. Place the wing on top of the neck section.

Now, clamp the wing down on the neck section. Unclamp the wing, and remove the Scotch tape / BBs. You should see small dimples where the BBs were, on both the side of the neck-through and the wing. Use a drill press to drill into the dimples, and now you can put small dowels in. The dowels provide nothing structurally, but the will keep the wing from slipping while you glue and clamp. You also don't have to worry about routing into a metal staple / brad / whatever later.

I like this one! :)