1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Attaching the Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JonnyAngle, Nov 10, 2010.

1. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    I am putting the finishing touches on my Jazz bass. The only issue I am having is I can't get the neck to sit flush with the body. The screws cannot get any tighter. What is the trick to get them to sit tight?

2. pictures!

3. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Try some threaded inserts and flathead socket screws. Sometimes the screw holes in the neck get stripped out a bit...

4. Cy_Miles

Cy_Miles

Feb 3, 2005
    threaded inserts are very nice indeed.

But not nescessary.

I have fixed many a loose wood screw by inserting a sliver of wood into the hole and then inserting the screw. (from a toothpick, a wood match, or ???)

If the hole is just a little loose this will often be enough so you can get a nice tight connection.

If the hole is too lose to make that work, you can drill out and plug the hole completely with a small dowell, (or toothpick, or wooden skewer) and then drill a new hole.

5. +1 on the toothpick trick, sounds like you might have stripped the screw holes. Pics of the neck heel and pocket would help.

6. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    :meh:I don't read that the screws are stripped from the OP's post, rather that the neck isn't flat in the pocket.

You would have to get a reliable straight edge and check the whole of the neck heel and the pocket for any high points:eyebrow:

I would suggest checking in the corners first, as a slightly blunt router bit will not rout into the corner, talking about less than a 1/4 mm, which will translate to a bad fit.

Time for a very close inspection.:)

7. miziomix

miziomix Über on my mind Commercial User

Sep 28, 2009
    Milan, Kuala Lumpur, Paris.
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    Is this a J you built? Did you make the screw holes. Or were they already there?

When you say 'flush with the body' do you mean that the screws will go just up to a point and no further, so you have a tiny gap between neck and neck pocket? I assume the neck sits into the pocket perfectly without screws, right?

If this is the case then probably the screws holes you have pre-drilled are not deep enough and the screws stop where the hole ends. Strangely, when this happens the screws seem to stop all at the same point - which makes one dismiss such a simple explanation as illogical.

But if the above description fits your case, then you just have to drill a little deeper. Check how big the gap is and drill accordingly - 1mm might be just what it takes.

Alternatively you could shorten the screws. But I found this solution less effective.

If OTOH I have misunderstood your issue, please explain it with more details and upload pictures.

8. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Does the neck sit tight and flush in the neck pocket without any screws? You need to determine if this is a fitment problem or misaligned screws.
    Rocky

9. is it possible that your screws are not all the same length? If you place the longer screws in the holes where the shorter ones were, it would seem that they just won't tighten anymore, and the pocket will be loose.

10. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    I figured out the problem...
    I was reading your responses and checked them out. What I found was there was a small amount of paint that was bulking up and caused the problems. It was only enough paint that would keep surface tension, so pretty finnicky, but glad i found it. Here's the completed bass though. Thanks for all the help.

th_IMG_0844.

11. I'll sometimes use a c-clamp (the kind you tighten with your grip not a threaded arm) to set a neck in place before bolting it in. I place a neck plate on the fretted side of the neck to not cause any marring, helps with those tricky one.