1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

attack of the car insurance lady...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Several months ago, before my oldest son had his driver's license, I had called my insurance company to get a quote on what it would cost to add him to my policy. They gave me a quote (which sucked) and he was eventually able to get a much better quote under his mom's (my ex's) policy.
    Flash forward a few months, and I start getting calls from them asking about adding him to my policy. I told them that it was fine he doesn't need to do so as he's under my ex's policy.
    Well, they asked for "proof" (a copy of his insurance agreement with the other company..). At first I didn't think much of it, I told them "yeah, I'll see what I can do" and let it go at that. I figured that when he gets a chance he can give them a call.
    Well, the "nasty" calls started after that - they are calling me repeatedly and sending letters and demanding proof of his insurance, otherwise he'll be "added to my policy without my consent"... I called them back and asked them if it was legal to penalize someone simply for asking for a quote. I also explained that his primary residence is not with me, so how could they demand any info at all from me simply for asking about details of a policy? She replies "well you gave us the impression that he lived with you so we'll need proof" ARGH!!! So now they want his DL# to verify residence and that he's insured?? Sounds like a crock to me. Anyone ever run into this sort of thing?

2. Change agents ASAP.

3. write them a nasty (but civil) letter at once, explaining all you have said.

remind them of the facts you have presented me, and threaten to sue them under the consumer protection act if they try anything like "adding" him without your consent. KEEP A COPY OF THE LETTER!

threaten to change companies (which i would do anyway!)

send the letter by certified mail, return receipt requested and staple all receipts to the copy of the letter which you have kept.

i think that will sufficiently call their bluff....then change agents/companies ASAP.

davesignatureII-1.

4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Oh... I thought you were talking about that ugly "Flo" gal from those annoying Progressive ads.

Nevermind. Carry on.

5. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    I would dump this Nazi Insurance company. :eek: Its amazing to me that companies that must compete with other companies for our business engage in this type of behaviour. They must have incredibly low rates to push around their clients like that.

May I ask who it is?

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    lol, nah this is no Flo..

But, yeah, I'm kind of torn between just giving them what they want and being done with it, vs fighting them to the end. I'm pissed about this. While I can see what they mean about having proper coverage etc etc, threatening me for proof for a person who technically does not legally reside here as a primary residence is shady.

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Their quotes are not low actually. They're average, maybe a teeny bit lower. For what they were asking for in regards to a policy for my son, they must have been on crack.

I'd rather not say who it is at this point. It's not one of the big ones though. A smaller to medium sized one I'd say.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Why not just provide the proof of coverage? You appear to have the power to end your dilemma.

-Mike

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    But I'm an idiot.... I get myself into dilemmas over stuff like this because I wrestle with "fighting back" vs "surrendering" rather than just deciding on one course of action and acting on it. :)

You're right. I can call them right now and poof, it's done. On the other hand, I also HATE hate hate hate hate standing down to a situation where I feel I'm being treated unfairly. And this is one.

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    They have no business treating you like this, threatening you, etc.

I'd go elsewhere and tell them to F off... yes, using those exact words.

11. well, here's my take. Have him call up, give his policy # and insurance company, tell them that he does not live with you, and that should be the verification they're seeking.
    Adjusters can do a whole assortment of things. For example, I caught a guy who my insured hit that drove a rolling total; the concept behind this is, generally, he makes a point of being inconvenient to any other person on the road, such as parking his car in inconvenient areas, so that it's likely someone will hit him. He then reports a claim to the insured's company, but neglects to report it to his own, so he's always recieving money in pocket, but not having a raise on his rates.

Being the passive agressive guy i am, I called his insurer, asked if they were aware of how many accidents his car had been in, and reported the latest.

ahhhh fun what one man can do.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Wow, I don't know the legal implications, but that's some seriously shady stuff. Personally, I'm not a big fan of strong arm tactics.

Oh, and I dig Flo.

MV5BMTIyOTU3MjM5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDI2NjYyMQ@@._V1._SX300_SY420_.

:bag:

13. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Sorry but it isn't a crock. Not sure in NJ, but in most states companies are well within their rights to add a minor without consent if no proof of other insurance is given (or for other reasons). If he has any access to your car, the odds of damage to or by your car increase sharply. Insurance companies need to charge premium appropriate with this increased risk. Plus, your insurance wants to know where to go (mom's insurance company) if your son is involved in a claim and save you and them the hassle.

Also, what if his mom never added your son to her policy? He hurts someone, you and mom are getting sued and will lose. As a parent, I'd like to be sure my son has appropriate car insurance.

14. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I would just provide a copy of your son's proof of insurance, and then drop that company and find something new. There are plenty of other good insurance companies out there that would be happy to have your business.

15. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Change insurance companies.

Or start paying the bills on checks you write out by hand on dirty underwear. I heard about someone that did that, and there is nothing that says a check has to be written out on paper. At least that's how the story goes.......

16. insurance companies are forced to strongarm ppl tho because they are connected with the police, therefore making them not just a property protection service but a government run business.

Knowing how to insure is knowing who is allowed to drive what who lives in whose residence, knowing the condition of the vehicle and where it is kept and what it is used for at all times.

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ

So, if I ask about adding you to my policy for instance, they don't know where you live, they don't know your driving record, they don't know anything about you in fact other than the fact that I asked for a quote. So you're telling me that they now have a right for me to prove that RS doesn't live with me and is fully insured simply because I asked for a quote?
    It IS a crock.
    I understand what you're saying, and you may be correct about the liabilities and such, and lord knows NJ is nuts with insurance but I still think that they are over-stepping their boundaries.

18. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Then if this is all true - maybe they ought to then focus on proper communication and customer service? You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. All they've done now is pissed me off and have not accomplished a damn thing.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

First of all, they cannot 'add' anyone to any policy without written consent! Second, I'd be speaking to a supervisor or manager and ask them why did someone actually threaten to add someone to my policy without my permission!! I'd probably be doing so in person hoping said caller was in attendance!

All you did was ASK for information! Not set in motion an addition to your policy! Document! Take names and numbers and go all the way up the chain. If it really gets out of hand, call your local TV News station! I wouldn't let this slide. Is your ex using the same company for insurance?

I have a lawyer in the family and he would be chomping at the bit right about now!

20. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    That is different. I am not a minor and you are not my parent. If I did live at your house and would drive you vehicle more than once or twice a year (in most states) yes, you would need to add me to your policy to ensure proper coverage. It has to do with rating risks properly. I may have have 5 DUI and 3 accident in the past year. If I did, odds would be more likely they'd incur a loss on your policy.

IMO, you are making this personal and hard on yourself for no reason. It is not about you calling for a quote, it is them trying to assess risk properly, which benefits all the people insured by the insurance company. Too many people lie about kids having coverage and not driving, which raises the rates for everyone. I don't have kids. Why should I pay higher premiums to make up for underrated policies because insureds lied on their app or willfully did not disclose high risk drivers? How is that fair to most consumers?

Call his mom, get the insurance company name, policy number, and (if possible) a copy of the dec page and send it to your agent or company. Save yourself some aggravation.