1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Attack of the Carvins

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peterbright, Jul 7, 2014.

1. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    CarvinPB4sandBX700Rig_zpsf67e0446.

The planets aligned and two Carvin PB4's, a Carvin BX700 and two Carvin BRX 15.3's (15"/8"/tweeter) all arrived the same day.

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Nice :) You need to post those back over in the PB4 thread.

How do they sound/play?

3. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Sounds good at the low volume I can play "in the house". It actually sounds better without the Sansamp in front of it or through the effects return . I really like the sound of the tapewounds on the burst better than the steels that are on the GIS (flatwounds or tapewounds will be added). When I opened it up, it nearly blew my wig off and I don't have a wig.

fourstringdrums likes this.
  4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    How's the playability and build quality?

I was actually considering canceling mine because I was hit by a Musicman GAS attack and just bought two (new and used). But I really want to see how mine comes out.

5. Skip_NJ

Skip_NJ

Jun 1, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sweet how do those cabs sound? Do you have anything to compare it to? Nice PBs too

6. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Have used Ampeg 15E's and like these just as well so far.

7. Nothing is more playable than a Carvin. Based on my collection of axes past and present.

maestrovert likes this.
  8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow... that's nice. They ought to give you an endorsement deal for sporting that all-Carvin rig.

9. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I'll be able to do a PB vs Musicman comparison test for you when mine comes in. What model MM you interested in? From the little time I owned my past one I'd say they are pretty equal in build quality. I love the Sterling & Bongo & will ALWAYS have 1 of each. We will see if the Carvin can take my only 4 string spot... otherwise I MAY try another Big Al SSS... but the G was weak & fills didn't pop at all. I felt like the Carvin PB had great volume & note definition in the upper registers.

10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I bought a new Sabre Classic and a used fretless Stingray HH. They'll be here tomorrow and Thursday. I'm going to see the build through. I just want to see how it comes out. I may still keep it but it will be cheaper to return it than to cancel it mid build anyway. Shipping vs. Losing my deposit.

11. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    What's in your PB build?

12. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I know they kinda force you to get it! You have 2 basses I know nothing about! The nut width for Stingrays & Sabres dont fit me as well as Big Als & Sterlings in the 4 string versions.

The PB neck was perfect for me

13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Gloss over 1 piece Swamp Ash, Tort, solid walnut neck with tung oil, Rosewood, abalone dots, carved headstock, walnut truss rod cover and Rosewood knobs.

I'm used to P style nut widths. I'm actually concerned that I'll hate the slimmer Carvin neck.

14. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I would have kept my MIA Fender P Standard if I was used it. That thing rocked

15. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I'm pretty adaptable to necks and not too picky, though wide, flat and slim I can't do. My Reverend Decision was like that. It was the same radius and nut width as both my LB-100 and my American P but because it was slimmer front to back and not as rounded I felt like the strings were a mile apart at the nut.

16. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    JB5-FDQ-MP-WP-WPK-gallery.

I'm waiting on this in a PJ version

Love the J at the bridge, love the P at the neck. I'm only going to have 1 4 banger in the stable so I had to get the most out of it.

jeff7bass and fourstringdrums like this.
  17. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Niiiice!