Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attack of the HempCone Speakers!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jan 6, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

anyone see these? Tone Tubby Speakers have long been loved by guitar speaker connoisseurs, and used in amps for Eric Clapton, Steve Kimock, Santana, etc. but i didnt know they finally finished their bass speaker. and man, i gotta say the sound clips are pretty darn good.

anyone in the San Rafael, CA area wanna give us a report?

http://www.tonetubby.com/samplebass10.htm

[​IMG]

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Try new ToneTubby® with HempCone® technology!
    Smoke one of these speakers and it won't be the ONLY thing that gets fried!

:bag: :D

3. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Am I reading this right?Speakers made from hemp?Cool.Imagine the sweet smell on stage.

4. Would hemp speakers make the cabs handle more wattage than usual, or effect weight?

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    They should be more durable than paper cones, possibly with greater excursion capability. A friend of mine has one in his botique custom guitar amp. And I refuse to make a hemp/drug joke. :oops:

6. I understand they are very big with the HIFI crowd.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I wonder what strain this stuff is? :D

8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    These amps would be too much of a liability.
    Imagine what would happen if you came home only to find one of your friends taking it apart when they were jonesin.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    are you kidding? around in these parts, they'll just light the fu$%er while still in the cab! :D

10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I won't :D

Imagine the highs these things put out

These cabs are smokin'

These things will really light up the joint

11. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I heard about these speakers some time ago and I'll be interested to see how this pans out. It is my understanding that they are capable of very warm tone. Supposedly they have a very long (comparatively speaking) break-in time and that the tone you get when you first plug them in is not what you get after they are broken in. I guess it takes a while for the hemp cones to loosen up.

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    :D Hemp is not a drug. ;)

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup,

thats the reason why Steve Kimock got together with those guys. he wanted something more durable that his poor Celestion Blues were handling, yet still have the great tone of the Blues. course, they are much darker and smoother sounding. and funny enough, i always thought they should make some bass speakers.

but cmon guys, no one in the San Raf area? i'm dying to hear some impressions.

14. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    joker,
    :spit:
    You are an evil man! I refuse to give in to the GAS, even if it means I must go into :bag:

15. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Hehe - I have a Phil Lesh & Friends hemp hat and it actually says on the tag "Please do not smoke this hat".

"Please do not smoke this cone" would be funny in this case.

16. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I played through a guys rig at a jam about six months ago who endorses these guys. I recall it sounding quite good actually, but couldn't tell what of that was the cab, because he had TONS of effects, and I wasn't familier with his preamp. Sorry I can't be much help.

BTW the guy was running his upright through it. He used a boomerang and would loop a bass line, add some percussion by beating on the bass body and than solo over it with some distortion while using his bow. Really cool stuff, but I can't remember his name.

17. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    They're located fairly close to a rehearsal studio I used to use, but I've never had ocassion to try these directly, unfortunately... but... I've heard a fellow SF player (who's a monster bassist) use them live and his tone was fantastic. Of course, this is of limited use (sorry!) due to all the variables at play here. But FWIW, he had them in his Eden 410T (actually, I think 2 speakers were the original Edens, and 2 were ToneTubbys, but all 4 may have been Tubbys).... he found them warmer, deeper, punchier than the Eden speakers IIRC. Caveat: he's also 'endorsed' by Tubby. Sorry I can't make a direct comparison myself (esp since his tone sounded great with the Eden speakers, too!), but take it for what its worth ... which ain't much, but these are hard times... :D

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    is he the one doing the second set of sample clips?

19. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    yes indeed... uriah duffy.. good guy

20. If these had the exact same properties but were made out of something else, would anybody care about them?