Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attack of the killer Soundgear

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by oo0o00o0oo, Apr 10, 2001.

1. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    At practice today my strings decided to double as an electric fence and repeatedly zapped me. It hurt pretty bad, and happened 3 or 4 times. I'm playing a SDGR810 through a Trace 150SMC and a Trace 210 and 115..... any ideas?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, did you or anybody else mess with the amp, or perhaps tape the amp plug to get rid of AC hum?
    Get a service tech to check on your amp and bass.

3. This is a no foolin' around type of situation here. Crank that voltage up just a few more amps and you will die. It doesn't take much to interrupt the hearts normal trigger system. If it hurt, then you weren't far from it.

I'm currently working on making some GFI box extension cables for my rig so that, I can avoid some of the situations that cause this.

4. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    What does cause this though? I'm getting my amp checked out tomorrow BTW.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It seems like your bass is not properly grounded.

Will C.:cool:

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Did you install that new preamp from BP, where it zaps you for playing the wrong notes? ;)

7. sounds like poor grounding at the amp. check the amp mains plug. the ground wire may have come loose.

8. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I knew a guy who didn't have any three prong outlets so he cut off the grounding wire on his amps plug!!!!!! Stupid.........
    Isn't that dangerous?!?!?!?!?!

9. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Yep your all right, thank ya. Turns out the ground wire on the plug socket was faulty. Thanks all!

10. there is a way to protect yourself from electricution if you amp decides to send full voltage (240 volts here in australia!) down the lead to you. i have seen it in a book called "customising your electric guitar" a fairly old book, it was black and white except for the cover. anyway you can get a couple of resistors (i can't remeber if you use resistors of what value they should be, or if you use something else but you still get the point)twisted together, and you solder them onto the earth wire that goes from the pots to the bridge in you bass.
    doing this has no restriction on the sound and will only let 40volts down the line instead of 240 volts, so you will still get a bit of a tingle but at least you live.

anyway someone else might be able to tell you the proper components to use for this.

11. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I once played trough a "imported" Gallien&Krueger combo. The owner brought it from US and built his own power cable to support finnish system and made a few other modifications too. And of course all of it decided to go down just when I was using that amp. I got some pretty nasty 220 volts to my fingers. Hurt like hell and my hair smelled like it had burned for three days.

12. I'm not sure about using resistors, but in a book I've got "Electric Bass Guitar" by Bass Player/Guitar Player, Dan Armstrong recommends connecting a 0.05 microfarad capacitor (rated for at least 240 volts) between ground in the control cavity and the bridge grounding wire of the bass, to act as a kind of shock absorber.
    I've fitted them to both my P basses.

re. dangers of electricity, the guitarist in my covers band decided to fit his four-way extension trailing socket inside his pedalboard (made from sheet metal).
    he fixed it inside by DRILLING THROUGH THE FOUR-WAY FITTING STEEL SCREWS THROUGH IT INTO THE PEDALBOARD:eek:
    very stupid indeed. (I didn't know about this)

predictably, about a month later, his Morley Wah and Digitech
    Whammy pedal blew up, since the screws contacted live components inside the four way, making the pedalboard live, and sending mains voltage into the pedals via their cases (they were screwed down).
    he's very lucky it didn't happen while he was actually playing- the guitar's strings would have been live too.

13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have that problem sometimes too, but it's usually only when I am playing my bass and I touch a metal piece on my microphone. It's very slight (feels kinda like a tattoo needle) and it usually only happens when we practice in my friend's damp basement. I put a foam "spit guard" on my mic to avoid that direct flesh-to-metal contact and it seemed to do the trick.

On a lighter note, I would think it might be kinda cool to get zapped really bad at an actual gig. Probably would be a sight few rival bands could compete with and think of the sympathy you would get from the ladies in the crowd. Oo la la!

14. Hategear, the singer/guitarist of my originals band had exactly that problem at a rehearsal studio.
    we found it was due to the ground wire being loose in the mains plug of the PA.

I think in this case it's just static electricity being discharged through contact, but it's still best to check the equipment.

and as for being zapped on stage, I doubt whether it would look that cool....imagine if you crapped yourself....