Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attack of the noodling guitarist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by keylock71, May 6, 2003.

1. Ok ,my guitarist is driving me batty. Through out practice he'll "noodle" (playing random riffs and songs loudly) in between songs. It's driving me nuts and I've tried to explain to him silence is a good thing between songs, especailly if we're trying to work something out. Yet the noodling continues. Am I being a fascist for asking for "no noodling" between songs? Do I need to lighten up? Is this a problem for anyone else? Any suggestions on not letting this become a cancer?

2. <-----Guilty.

I do that all the time. Maybe I'm pissing off my band mates and I don't even know it?!? :eek:

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If he does it in practice he's likely to do it during a performance. During a performance it is EXTREMELY amateurish and will KILL even the most perfect show.

4. He doesn't do it on stage. That's the odd thing. Maybe I need to stop pussy-footing and just tell him to STFU.

5. Ask him nicely...

ask him to turn his amp down and sit near his amp while other band members are discussing...or you guys could get a hand signal or something that means "Quiet...we need to talk" or you could talk to the other band members...it'll be 3/1 or how many people you have...

good luck

be nice....yuo play bass

6. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    A guitarist in my first band used to noodle whilst I was tuning! I tune with a tuner, then with harmonics, and he would continue to make noise while I was harmonic-tuning. Aarg.

Tim Commerford starts noodling at the end of Audioslave's newest video, just after the song is over. I wonder if the other guys were pissed off. Probably not, since they left it in the video. Seems kind of dumb to me, but they're allowed to do that sort of thing, I suppose.

7. I like the hand signal idea. thanks. i think alot of the volume issue has to do with him buying a new amp recently and he's just flexing his volume balls.
    I was only half kidding about the STFU. I think we need to have a band intervention and have everybody tell him how annoying it is. Even in a pratice situation I still think it's very unprofessional.

8. I'm in the school band.. We play musicals.. And as we are all very busy college students, and musical plays are a pain in the a$$ to perfect, we have two bass players and two drummers.. so that we dont have to play the entire set of 16 or more songs..

And the thing is that.. The other kid.. a 17 old boy.. is the most irritating bass player I've met in my life.. Is a nice guy.. but once he grabs his Yamaha RBX .. MAN.. You just dont wanna be around... He's ALWAYS doing this horrible, fret buzzing, clicky, rythimless, slap+pop noise.. even being unplugged.. it's too damn annoying..

It FREAKS ME OUT!! I cant stand it!...

Even in rehearsals, when we are talking and organizing things up with the music or coreography (sp?) directors.. he's doing that crap, like if he hadn't played a bass for years, or couldn't do that stuff at home.. Always interrumping and distracting others..

And no matter how many times the our director tells him to "cut that sh!t off", he'll keep on doing it. :mad:

The worst thing is that we really need this guy.. very few people apply to join the band.. and most of them are just begginers. And I can't manage to rehearse enough to cover a complete set and keep up with my normal career asignments.

:meh:

9. when my bandmates would get into heated arguments, i'd start "noodling" and playing goofy little ditties and they'd crack up. i look like a goofball, too, so that helps.
    excessive noodling is bad news, though.

10. I think I have the answer to your problem:
    You trun your amp up louder and play something very..."impressive", then say "Now shut up b!tch!"
    and if he starst to noodle, well if your amp is louder just drownd him out and tell him to stop because he can't win, but if he actually could (bigger amp or whatever) then you take his guitar and bash it over his head.

That should solve your problem...or just create a new one...:meh:
    just punch him in the arm once and say "Hey, knock it off." you don't have to do it hard just enough so he will pay attention:D

11. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I noodle on my electric only because I spend so much time practicing upright. I only get to play my electric when that specific band rehearses. Oh well, at least I do it quietly most of the time.

12. I like that idea, but don't feel right about it, considering he is a puny little guitar player.:D

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, there's an easy solution to you guys. Just take your flyswatter (or what it's called anyways) to the next rehearsal and next time noodling occurs.. *SWACK* on the cheek.

I've considered using tennis balls too, so I wouldn't have to walk all the way to the fella, but it takes a bit of accuracy.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just say what ol' Indian Joe says to his band, full volume, into the PA:

NO NOODLING!

15. yeah guitarists are weak little pansies. But either my punch in the arm or Tsal's flyswatter seem like something that most guitarist could handle.;)

16. violence is never the key.
    insult his mother and the size of his manhood. make him cry. bring a big chocolate cake to rehearsal, share it with everyone else in the band. then tell him he can't have any because his dad is a drunk and he lives in a trailer. "welfare baby" is a quality remark that will get to the heart of the issue.

17. or if that doesn't work kick him in the face.
    Violence is the answer if nothing else works

Or better yet do as 3 crotch grabs said and then bash him over the head with his guitar:p
    (seriously, violence is appropriate when dealing with guitarists that annoy you. They are just wanna be bassists that cant't handle the weight;) )

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

...and use it when the guitar player starts piling on. Sometimes,it's the only way to get control of a rehearsal.

19. LOL what with their little instruments and tiny little doll hands, I'd be afraid even the fly swatter would be too much for him. I talked to our drummer the other day and we agreed constant ridicule would probably have the best results.

20. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Just fold your arms, look at him, and patiently wait. Eventually he'll look at you and say, "what?".
    Then just say" oh, I'm just waiting for you to finish. go ahead." Have your whole band follow your lead and I think he'll get the point.