1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Attack of the Rickenbacker Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mad_man_moon61, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Hi all,
    While on eBay came across this Chinese Rickenbacker copy.
    Not too impressive looking but maybe close enough for
    the Rickenbacker folk to come calling. Good luck there..lol.

Cheers,
    Douglas

Attached Files:

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    huh...that is a pretty cool rick copy. what did you pay for it?

BTW, only the body style is the copy. It probably doesn't sound much like a rick with the two J P'ups.

3. Hi,
    I grabbed the photos off of eBay so I don't own the bass.
    Yeah with jazz pickups not really going to sound like a
    true Rick.
    Being offered by one of many Chinese sellers on eBay.
    Too bad that Rickenbacker is so tough on copies
    being made as I wouldn't mind owning a nice copy
    since I can't afford the real deal.

Cheers,
    Douglas

4. +1

they could get them on the body copy, but thats aboot it.

i wouldnt really care. the J's make it ugly.

5. came across a couple of decent looking copies at electromusic in store (don't think they have them online at www.electromusic.co.uk)

they even had a logo that at first glance looked like the ric logo, I think they were called "rock'n'????er" (sorry can;t quite rememeber the moniker! no idea what they sounded like 'cos I was distrcted by thte real thing but they looked ok. they had a black one and a "fire glo" version, might be worth a call if you are in the UK!!!

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Sorry, that just made me laugh! :D

7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I saw a old 70s ibanez Ric copy on ebay for about £400, it was neck through and everything was pretty much exactly like original, thats probably why rickenbacker sued their asses off and they stopped making them.

I was really temped to get it, but i had just got my jazz......

8. donutman - pop up to doncaster and tell us what you make of the copies at electromusic!

9. DanJ

DanJ

Mar 3, 2008
    Hey everybody, I'm new here and this is my first post. Maybe this has already been discussed but I would like to throw it out in this thread nonetheless:

Rickenbacker obviously don't want anyone else making anything that even remotely resembles their instruments. Okay they don't want competition, or their brand to be watered down by cheap knockoffs, etc. Seems to me the answer is quite simple: Rickenbacker should have a mid-level line built to their spec overseas, and sell those to us lowly humans who don't have tons of money spend on the California built models.

IMO this would not weaken their line, it would actually strengthen it. It would help put more of their own intruments into the hands of startup players and others. These same folks might then upgrade one day to the top of the line, since they would be familiar with the company via the mid-level instruments.

Hofner, Gretsch, PRS, Fender and others have done this quite successfully. Why haven't Rickenbacker embraced this "grow the brand" approach? The aforementioned companies have probably realized that the best way to beat copy makers is to provide their own inexpensive "copies" for those who can't afford the big ticket models. furthermore, once a player has grown accustomed to playing your guitar, he is more likely to stay with you when the time comes to upgrade.

My personal wish is for a Rick 4001s ala McCartney's. I presently own a Hofner Contemporary Beatle bass, and it rocks! It is close enough to Paul's bass for my purposes, and it would be great to have a companion Rick to go with it - but I can't afford it. Will Rickenbacker ever wake up to this concept?

10. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    Never gonna happen. Rickenbacker sells more instruments then they can make. Their backlog is enormous. Obviously they're doing something right.

11. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    [​IMG]
    AAAAHHHH!! Like a bad acid trip!

12. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    That is the least attractive Ric copy I've ever seen.

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Will not happen and should not happen. Look at Fender. No offense to Fenders, they make some good basses but we all know they have some hit and misses.

14. DanJ

DanJ

Mar 3, 2008
    Yes, but I respectfully submit that they are also doing something wrong. Boutigue pricing and long waiting lists are not the best way to generate new fans or brand loyalty. When I recently looked into the possibility of getting a new 4001s like McCartney's, I was befuddled to discover how much it costs and how long it will take to get one. It's out of my price range and at 49 years of age I am not getting any younger. If I could somehow justify the cost, and frankly because of the cost, I would like to be able to enjoy the instrument today.

Yeah I know all about those ill-concieved Fenders, as well as other brands. It doesn't have to happen to Rickenbacker. They are in a unique position to really think about what they could offer in a mid-level product. What's more, they don't even have to build it - all they gotta do is contract guess who - the same factory(s) that have been making the copies in the first place!

It's win-win: the factory gets business from Rickenbacker, and Rickenbacker then have a product for those who can't afford the top of the line, built to their spec and most importantly bearing their brand name legally. Of those who buy in at the middle point, some will eventually upgrade to the superior models because of brand loyalty. Count me among the latter.

To keep the lines separate, things could be done to avoid confusion such as the mid-line product would only be available in set neck not neck through, and subtle cosmetic variations such as binding on the highlines and no binding on the midlines or lacquered fingerboards on the highlines versus nonlacquered fingerboards on the midlines could differentiate the midline products from the highline models.

This would put more Rick's in more hands. The quality would not have to suffer, and those who have satisfied their Rick jones with the midline product would have a nice instrument to enjoy while they save up and brace themselves for the wait for their second, highline Rick down the road.

This is my opinion. Whether or not you agree, hopefully you can see the merit in what I'm suggesting.

15. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta Supporting Member

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    John Hall has stated elsewhere that he is content to keep all his production in the US and not change production schedules. There will be no overseas-produced Rics as long as he runs the company.

16. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    It's a Tokai Rockinbetter. :)
    They're readily available in the UK & Europe. They're MIK neck thru basses and the bridge actually looks better than a RIC bridge. :bag:

Personally I think they should look to outsourcing to Europe for a low end model, not budget though. Just like what Spector have done. :)

17. You have to give the guy credit for trying to keep all the work in the US.

18. That has to be the ugliest Ric copy I have ever seen. Maybe it's just the angle of the pics but I am not sure if Ric would have any kind of a case even if it was made in the States never mind being made in China. Barely looks like a Ric to me.
    Ugh!

19. And some of Fenders MIJ's are better than the MIA's. With high tech production capability and superior quality control, it's not suprising. It must not be a good thing when your import line ended up being better a better product than your US line. :eek:

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Man, that thing is horrifically ugly.