Attention Accugroove users...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stingray4Christ, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    Are these cabs as good as they claim? they must be if they're used by the likes of Nathan East and Bill Dickens. If you own an Accugroove, what head do you use with it?
  2. Tom Boyles

Tom Boyles

Mar 7, 2003
    An AccuGroove cab will be the best bass cab you will ever play through, in my opinion. I own the El Whappo and it's worth every penny. I have taken this cab with me to bass conferences I have attended, and my AccuGroove cab ended up being the stage amp because the clinicians and performers loved the tone and punch out of my El Whappo.

I play a Pedulla MVP-6 (6-string) bass and the El Whappo not only gives me solid and punchy lows out of the B-string... but the range this thing has gives me excellent response right up the neck right up to the highest notes on the C-string.

To answer your question... my main rig is a QSC USA400 power amp with a SansAmp RBI tube emulator bass pre-amp. Again, this rig has been pulled up on stage at bass clinics/conferences to replace Eden, SWR, BagEnd cabs on stage because clinicians and performers have tried it out and liked it better than what was on stage to begin with.

The AccuGroove cabs are cabs you will buy to have with you for a lifetime. They are just killer. I love mine and after 20 years of trying different cabs/amps... the AccuGroove cab has fulfilled everything I was looking for.

-- Tom
  3. hey all,

I have to echo Tom. after 20 years of trying I don't know how many amps/speakers, I finally found something that can do EVERYTHING. at the end of a gig last night, a pro sound man came up to me and just went off on the clarity and dimension of my sound. I wasn't going into the PA, just using my rig un-mic'd.

currently I'm using an El Whappo and a Whappo Grande. I have a Demeter VTBP-201s preamp heading into a Stewart World 2.1 power amp.

I have NO DOUBT that these are the best cabs in the world. nothing short of phenomenal!

I hope that was some help,

from the low end,

4. Tom is right. I tried Glockenklangs, Bergantinos and Epifanis extensively while I was shopping for High end portable cabs. I have finally settled on a pair of tri 110's. They sound amazing, and seem more musical at louder levels than the three companies mentioned before...They are just right for "my" tone...but I do have to admit that they might not be good for everyone else.

If I were you I would find a store that sells several of these kinds of amps, and do a head to head between them.

I use a Demeter HBP-1, into a QSC RMX850, stereo into the Accugroove tri 110's all connected with monster "carrot size" prolink cables. I play only modulus basses, and with these speakers I finally got the Hi Fi hollow sound I was looking for.
  5. good point, James.

the AccuGroove sound may not be for everyone. if you want a really vintage sound or want more of an indistinct tone, the detail and full frequency coverage of Mark Wright's speaker design may not be your cup of tea.

I'm using a Conkln 8 in a number of different styles, but whether I want the power of the deepest notes on my low F# string of the articulation in a high chord or melodic figure, these bad boys deliver it!

keep it grooving,

from the low end,

6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

how much do they weigh? how's the transport? been eyeing these for my new "gigger on the go" rig.
  7. Joker, These tri 110's are Light, 43 lbs. I believe. They are small enough to fit in the trunk of a Honda, (a feat my moduli cannot achieve), and sound amazing.

I should let you know, I am still waiting to get my, second accugroove, but I did play a set in the store I went to. So my review is mostly based on one at the moment :meh: but when I get the second one, I'll take some pics, and give it the two week run through.

As far as sound goes, one of these sounds more musical at loud volumes than a berg 112. :eek:

::WARNING:: Basses without pre amps...these are probably not the speaker for you! The 110's need a little EQ to get some bass outta that little 10!

Overall I would like to point out a major criticism from an anonymous person, (Do a search on accugroove in the forums to find out who) said he would reccomend accugroove for your home stereo system, not for your bass rig.

Well he's right, I had a couple bass and guitar playing friends come over to check it out, all of them were blown away, and the best compliment I recieved was, "You sound like a CD." :D

I can't wait to start gigging with these!

I'm still gleaming!!!
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah, for a 1x10 that's actually rather heavy. my old Eden CXM110 was 25 lbs., and Epifani's ultralite 1x10 is 25 lbs. as well.

still, knowing Accugroove, its prolly worth that weight in gold. :D

when you get 'em, post a pic as well as a long butt review, pleez! :p
  9. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Anyone compare the Accugroove to the EA CXL110? The EA is 28 lbs and the by far best 10 I've heard, but I haven't heard the Accugroove. Is it worth the difference in sound and weight?
  10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Has anyone had a chance to compare Accugroove cabs with Acme cabs. Judging by the components used and the overall design I'd expect them to sound very similar, but the Accugrooves to be more efficient. Can anyone enlighten me?

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    chucko58 has done this, but I dunno exactly where the thread is. Try a search and see what you come up with. Or maybe chucko58 will see this thread and chime in. As I recall, he loved the Accugrooves, and found them more efficient than Acmes but not having quite as much low bass extension. But better to get it from the horse's mouth.
  12. Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    thanks everyone! im going to check out an el whappo ASAP!
  13. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'd like to have a pair of el whappos. that would rock
  14. hey neptoon,

I've said it before and I'll say (write) it again: wait'll Depth hits the road and the airwaves! Greg Campbell, playing most of the melodic and solo stuff, uses 2 El Whappos and I'll be holding down the rest with my El Whappo and my Whappo Grande. it'll be a bone crushing show!

from the depths of low,

15. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Yeah, I've A/B'ed them both on the same rigs at the same time. It was over a year ago, and the AccuGroove designs have changed since then.

At the time it was no contest. The Acmes sounded compressed and kind of strained, the 'Grooves sounded awesome and were much more efficient. But the Acmes went deeper.

I'm thinking a Tri-110 and a Gordo together would make me very, very happy.

(edit:) Oh BTW the Acmes I compared were and are my cabs. We used Whappo Grande's rack rig and my rack rig, and our personal basses. That man's got good taste in gear, let me tell you!
  16. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    I sold my Eden 410XLT and 210XLT to purchase an Accugroove 112. It was a great move, I'm a happy camper. I've used it stand alone with my GK800RB and on one occasion used it with a Merlin amp. The GK sounds great but the Merlin was absolutly incredible. On that particular night the whole band (six piece playing at a fairly decent volume) complimented me on my tone. I've also used it sitting on top of my Eden Metro. All I can say is that it is big! A sound man on one of the gigs where I used it with my Metro asked why I didn't sit the Accugroove on the bottom? I put it on top because that's the sound I want to hear. I hear tones in the Accugroove that I haven't gotten out of any speaker combination that I ever played. Oh and I do have GAS for a second Accugroove 112 as well as a Stewart 2.1 and a preamp to be determined.

17. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    Last night I stripped my rig to the essentials to run it... I played mono for the first time in a really long time... I used a small gig bag type rack...

Power conditioner
    APHEX 207
    APHEX 204 Stewart 2.1
    and a tower of two
    AccuGroove El Whappos...

What a brutally enjoyable spanking!!!!

I also use my custom BOLT ON solid birdsey bodied 6 string... Talk about Heaven! I had such a blast, and played so hard that I wore throught two of my finger tips, and the side of my thumb... I was forced to use a pick on a couple of tunes to save what skin i had left for the encore...

I can't even open a soda can right now...

So take caution, a great rig can lead you into such a great time that you might just hurt yourself!

AccuGroove... ...they hurt so good!
  18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    to resurrect this thread... i tried the Accugroove Tri 112 and liked it so much we are now carrying the Accugroove line- just ordered the El Whappo- can't wait to hear THAT thing!!
  19. you won't *BELIEVE* what the El Whappo is like, Adrian! there's nothing I've ever heard that comes even remotely close...!!

from the low end,