1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Attention all Comic Book Intelligentsia

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ElMon, Apr 11, 2009.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
  2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Just a guy with a blog who hates a comic book artist. Nothing special about that.

3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Hmmmmmmmmmm, so I'm guessin you ACTUALLY read it?

4. I think it's funny the guy running that blog is going on about someone else not having a life!

5. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    That's definitely true. I thought that the effort he took in making all that was proof positive of misplaced passion. At one time I was an aspiring artist who worked tirelessly on getting anatomy and movement to look natural, and I remember being shocked at Rob's artwork and sense of perspective, yet still made sure to buy a LOT of his books all the same. Thought it was pretty funny to see the evidence laid out so carefully. And yes, I have no doubt that the guy posting the blog is a middling artist with unrecognized genius.

6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Haven't read the article...

All I know is that when I was collecting comics in the 90's I really couldn't stand his artwork...and yet...still bought it. Even when he and others created Image. I still have them around as well.

7. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I think when I was reading those books, I never paid that much attention to ever little detail, and accepted those Image/Darkhorse/etc books as a different level of comic. Sometimes overdrawn and liberal as far as proportion of the human body, but still cool as hell when your 14 and maybe have grown out of some of the more mainstream books. Wasn't until I took up a pen and pencil and tried to make a go at it that I noticed how off some of it was. I was always more taken by Jae Lee, Simon Bizley, and Sam Keith for instance, all who were quite adept at blending absurd fantasy-proportions with skill and technique.

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I will say that I did like the story telling in the books.

The names escape me now...but I loved the guy who did Wolverine for a while then went to Image as well. I think he came up with Pit or The Maxx...I don't recall. I do remember that it was very tense and edgey looking. Well suited for Logan.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Liefeld has always sucked.

Its been a comic book joke for decades.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wah wah wah. what a nob. if he has such an issue (lolwut) then howsabout he get a job drawing em? :eyebrow:

i think liefeld's stuff is ok, i guess, although not fantastic. i'm more concerned about the writing, anyway.

11. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    I don't read comics...but all that stuff looked cheesy as heck...Stuff was out of perspective, miss-proportioned, half ***ed...

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My favorite comic artist (back when I collected- the 90s) was Mark Texeira. He did a stint on Wolverine and then went on to do Union for Image comics. That may be who you're thinking of. Sam Keith did The Maxx and IIRC Dale Keown did Pitt, which took forever between issues- I don't know if either did Wolverine. Texeira also did most of the early issues for the newer Ghost Rider, which were also excellent.

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Oh, and I was never a Liefeld fan. Heavy contrast and good coloring never hid his drawing/proportion problems for me.