Attention all DIY speaker: ohm/speaker question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I know very little about electronics, took basic electonics in HS, I know even less about electrical characteristics about speakers while they are being used.

Thinking about speaker loads, current handleing capacities of different amps etc...

Question: Is it possible to built a simple electronic device that will make an amp think, I know they don't "think", that the load is 4ohms or higher and still be safe to use and be musical????

I know some companies make multi speaker switching boxes, but is it possible and simple for the non-electronically inclined? like adding a resistor to your cab or some small adapter that could be put in line when using too many cabs under normal circumstances???
  2. I've heard about Accugroove's adjustable impedance switch for its cab, but I don't know how it achieves its results. However, one major thing to remember: Any kind of resistor you try to use in a speaker system will simply generate heat, even if it does trick the amp into "thinking" it has its optimum load. It won't help you get more sound out. There are other caveats as well.
  3. Nothing really worthwhile. You can theoretially add a resistor to bring a 2 ohm set of cabs to 4 ohms, but we're usually talking about hundreds of watts, and its very hard to get resistors that handle that kind of wattage. And they just turn that energy into heat.

Going the other way, turning an 8 ohm speaker into a 4 ohm load, to get "more power" out of the amp fail for similar reasons. The resistors need to handle so much power, and the extra power out of the amp goes to produce heat in the resistor, no extra power goes to the speaker, so there's no advantage to your sound.