Attention Amp/DI Project Guys

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by agedhorse, Nov 22, 2015.

1. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    This is a little bit unusual thread, and I hope I am not violating the CUP, but I know there is quite a few of you guys who build electronic type projects pretty regularly and show your stuff here and I kind of have a soft place in my heart for these efforts, so I figured this would be the best place to ask this...

After over 35 years of designing and building custom products for the pro audio touring and installation industry, I am winding this part of my business down and while sorting through boxes of old projects I have found some items that might be more useful to some of you than to me now, and I would like to see them go to a good home (after seeing the caliber of some of the DIY projects posted) rather than languishing here or possibly going to the scrapper. Some will be pennies on the dollar, some free, some I really don't even know yet.

Specifically things like audio transformers (mu metal shielded types, both 1:1 and mostly 6:1 DI types), some NOS and short run 12AX7 type tubes, blank rack panels, empty rack chassis, electronic parts, semiconductors and the like.

While I will miss the designing and building of one-off devices for some of the top touring players, I'm rather enjoying my new gig at Mesa which will ironically be designing new products (like the Subway) for the same darn players. Funny how things come around full circle.

If any of you are interested, PM me with what interests you (including anything that might relate to pro audio or MI audio because there are several pallets of old projects that I haven't even gotten to) and I will put together a list. There's even a few consoles and channel strips that might make a good bass preamp project now that I think about it)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

No more mad scientists lab?
    Must be sad and freeing at the same time.
    So, working on wonderful things for Mesa with a clean organized workbench? How will you manage;)
    Sigh, I guess that means I will have to buy the fruit of your efforts again in 18 months ;).

Really cool of you to do this I bet you have some really esoteric cool stuff there.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Very different monster, but I did much the same with three full toolboxes and two carry bags full of assorted kitchen paraphenalia and cutlery after taking on my current day job. Bittersweet yet liberating. Glad to hear, though, that the new gig has you in a happy spot.

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I can relate Andy.

I've been going through the same thing, clearing out a lot of gear, parts and older test equipment. It's amazing how much stuff you can squirrel away thinking that some day it will come in handy. The worst was the filing cabinets full of documents that needed to be shredded. I'll be in a lot of trouble if my backup computer disk drives fail.

It's pretty much all done now. On the plus side, I now know where everything is.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    coreyfyfe and agedhorse like this.
  5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I too have been trying to make some sense of the workshop. Many things have gone to the recycling depot. Sometimes it's kinda hard to let some of the stuff go as I can still see the useful product at the end of the line for each piece. I've had to realize that I simply have neither the time nor the resources to see them all to fruition.

Andy I find it laudable that you wish to pass good stuff onto someone else. Reuse is always better than recycle. I would also like to wish you well with your new gig at mesa. GB's loss is mesa's gain.

On another subject, what is an GB AE400 combo? I rehearse through one at a music store here in Toronto. I've done a search but failed to get anything useful.

Thanks...
    Paul

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021