Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATTENTION AMP GURUS II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldirtybassist, Jun 10, 2003.

1. See my other thread first.

Ok, I have a good B-52 18 inch subwoofer that my band doesnt use because we upgraded our PA. Questioon. Would that sound good at all? Im thinking about combining it with 2 10's. IS this a good idea?

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I am not the source for good info here, but give it a shot. The B-52 that I am thinking it is a hornloaded driver with a huge scooped port. It probably will not be as quick on note changes, and will stand a change of getting boomy, but it might work with some EQ tweaking. Especially since you have the 10s that are designed for the bass guitar to get the midbass and up. You will probably benifit most by running your signal thorough an xover and sending 50Hz and down to the B-52 (thats a guess on the Freq). A front loaded speaker might sound better than the B-52, but chances are the B-52 will sound better than the 10s at 30 Hz (low B note). Give it a shot. It sounds like the sub is easy to try out. I figure you will get tired of hauling it around anyhow, right?
    Wes

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey, why not?!

it'll more than handle your low B strings, and give you massive low end booty to everything else!

pair it up with a nice 4x10, and you'd be rockin' it.

4. bodom_bass398

bodom_bass398

Dec 8, 2002
    nj usa
    I'm not too big on the amp know how but my guitarist just uses speakers that are hooked up to a stereo reciever and he just uses the mic input. It seems to work really well. And cuz i have a pathetic 20 watt peavy practice amp I was thinking of buying a subwoolfer and a head.
    I think it should work cause it works for my guitarist but some feedback would be good before i go out and buy something that's not going to work.

I think this is along the same lines as the original question so im just gunna post it in this thread.

sorry if ive broken ne rules

5. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Are we talking about this?

[​IMG]

I used a similar cabinet for years with great succes. Mine was a Cerwin-Vega B-36a which is also a folded bass horn, with an additional single 12" driver mounted on the front to handle highs. I used this with a Mesa boogie bass 400, and revieved tons of compliments on my sound.

You will need to add a cabinet to handle highs, but it could definitely work for you.

-Pete

6. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Thats good to hear someone has actually tried it. I know the CV you are talking about.
    I remenber Munji tried a Mackie 1501 powered sub and he liked it, but that was a little different speaker loading. I wouldn't mind trying one. Have you seen how small those Mackies are?

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    For fun I once tried a Mackie SRS1500 sub from my PA with an EBS Drome 12" combo on top. The lows to me were very muddy and indistinct. Possibly the newer SWA1501 sub has a slightly snappier and direct sound, with the new front port. I think pure subs belong in the PA, not in the bass rig. If I had spare cash, a bigger transport and a stronger back :) I'd go for traditional 15" or 18" speakers in big cabinets for the PA as well, I'm not really happy with the active subs with regards to the bass guitar sound. They are very small and practical though.

8. (In a Mr Burns voice) Exxxcellent...

9. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    B-52 is a brand name. They have front-loads and horns. I think some of you are probably thinking of a Cerwin-Vega B-36, which is a folded horn design.

A common misperception about horns is that they can't be heard unless you are some distance from them. Not exactly true. What is true is that you will not get full volume from a bass horn until you are about 10-15 feet away from it. But you can still hear it up close; it will be about as loud as a typical front-loaded cabinet. The horn design serves to increase the efficiency of the speaker system, but it needs room to work.

Given a choice between front loaded and horn loaded, I'd take the front loaded cab just because it's lighter; the benefits of a horn loaded cab can't be realized on a typical stage, so it's just excess weight and size that serves no purpose. If you are doing gigs without PA support for your bass, a horn would be a good idea if you can live with transporting it.