Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attention Ampeg HEN or similar owners!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass18, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    To the rare breed that own the Ampeg classic series cabinets with the mysterious 'N' at the end! (Thats right, no spelling error there). Anyway, to anyone that has one of these cabinets, do you have any official info from Ampeg about them? Has anyone tried emailing them about it and why you hardly see them around?

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    The N stands for Neutrik.... they were the earliest classic series cabs that had Speakon connectors on them. In addition, from what I can make out, the power handling was 500W RMS/1000W peak vs the 400/800 on the standard HE. Speakon is pretty much standard on everything now so the N at the end is unnecessary.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Both of my cabs are HLN's. All I know is that they have the Neutriks and higher wattage handling.
    (I basically just repeated what was said above, didn't I?) Guess I am of no extra help.:(

4. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    So do you know why they dropped the handling by 100 watts? Anyway, thanks for the info.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    THey didn't drop the handling on the "N" series, they raised it. And I don't know why. Why don't you try emailing Ampeg to see what they have to say?

6. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I owned an AMPEG HEN classic series 4x10 last year. It handled 500w yes. No idea why it was marked HEN but I got it at that terrible joint GC last year. It was a decent cab but the damn grill came off ALL THE TIME at gigs. I used it in my last band at FULL VOLUME. That thing got abused so much that I blew the bottom right speaker. I still used it regardless of the blown speaker and it sounded like poop! But oh well. Did not have money or a choice back then....

But I also did wonder about the HEN on the model #. No idea....

7. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    What I actually meant was why did they drop the handling on the new classic 4x10HE's. I guess I should have made that clearer.

8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I'm guessing cost and better compatibility with the Ampeg heads were part of the reason for lowering the power handling.