Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attention Ampeg svt cab owners!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Triclops, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I have recently found out that these cabs are made out of chip board! please check your cabs and let me know if this is true, or are mine the only ones?

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Yup particle board. What's wrong?

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a 115 that is almost 20 years old. I think it is made of some kind of composite board also.

4. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    The newer ones are made of particle board, the old ones were all wood. I think that has something to do with everybody wanting an old square back SVT cabinet.

5. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Custom enclosures that are made for cars are usually made from 3/4 MDF, and it makes for a much more solid sound. I wonder if it would make a difference in a speaker cabinet too? It could most likely handle a helluva lot more power...

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It wouldn't bother me if my SVT410HLF was made of balsa wood. It sounds great and seems to be built as tough as nails.

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    My wood is rated at 1000 watts at 5.75 ohms. :confused:

8. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    LMFAO!!!

9. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    IIRC, the box is particle board, the baffle is plywood and the partitions are MDF.

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    From what I've heard the "chip board" Ampeg uses is like OSD (Oriented strand board) but with the different layers purposely oriented 90 degrees to each other like plywood.

OSD is pretty common these days in stuff like subfloors in houses or beams.

It's soaked with resins to hold it together and smashed together under heat and pressure. No voids. It's heavier than plywood. Harder to work with. It's strong though. And depending on what's used to glue it together it may be more or less water resistant than plywood.

Measure the thickness - I bet it's like 5/8th and not 3/4.

I wouldn't worry that the cabinets have less quality than a plywood one, but you'd think if Ampeg thought it was OK they'd be touting it as an edge they have over other cabinets.

11. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    interesting....I thought it was because of st louis music taking over that the quality took a dive while the prices went up up up!
    thank you all for your informative replies !!!

12. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Mine is an older angle back plywood one. It is SOLID. I will prolly sell it for a smaller cab though.

13. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Huh. yet somehow SLM managed to keep Ampeg going for 20 years and sell the company for millions of dollars recently. :D ;)

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Does your pay stub say you're getting think pay?;)

Then DON'T!

15. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The cabinets are not made of particle board.... nor "chipboard".

The non-plywood cabinets are in fact OSB for the case, with a plywood baffle. Some incidental pieces may be made of ply, OSB or MDF/particle board (glue strips etc).

Particle board is sawdust and glue pressed into a board. Heavy, very fragile.

MDF is sawdust and somewhat more glue. Even heavier, a little less fragile.

Chipboard is strips and chips of wood piled up and squashed into a board. Strength varies, weight is "medium".

OSB is longer strips of wood (2 to 6 inches, usually) laid up oriented N-S and E-W on alternate layers, glued together, similar to plywood. OSB is stronger than any of the above, medium weight.
    It can be made from the pieces left over from sawing solid lumber, so OSB is a more "green" environmentally friendly material. It does not require the bigger old-growth logs that plywood is made from, yet it has similar strength to standard plywood.

Plywood is sheets of thin wood laid with grain E-W and N-S on alternate layers, glued. It requires larger logs to "skive" the thin sheets off of, so it needs older trees, and wastes a lot of material.

And, some Ampeg cabinets are in fact made of 18mm birch plywood.

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    OSB is about 12-15 lbs more a sheet than plywood around here.
    You don't see a lot of manufacturers claiming to use it. They just don't mention it if they use it.

Manufacturers will mention they use birch plywood when they do.

To me, OSB is fine. I like things green. Hemp speaker cones are my favorite.

17. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    I Guess if Robert Trujillo, Michael Anthony, Billy Sheehan, and countless other dont mind thats good enough for me.