Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATTENTION BASS GURUS!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldirtybassist, Jun 1, 2003.

1. I am a 17 year old bass-head pimpin on a budget. After just recently blowing my friends bassman 100 (what a piece of ****e), im looking to step it up to the big (or at least medium) time, with an amp to complement my warwick thumb and my impeccable technique ;). Anyways, I am looking to spend NO MORE than $1000 on a head and cab, or combo. I am completely lost. I know to take everything with a grain of salt, but when all those grains add up, you get high blood pressure. So anyways, please help.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Avatar 4x10 cab and Hartke or Carvin head (or sth. similar).

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    at risk of being thought to be a bot...

take a look @ Ashdown. The ABM smoke! but the Mag are close and pretty cheap.

Ashdown website

Good luck

4. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Sounds like a good rig, and would leave you some change to replace your friend's Bassman.

5. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I agree with the Ashdown. Although I've traded mine to get an all tube head, I don't think I'll be able to convince a 17 year old with a Warwick that that's the way to go. The Ashdown is a high quality, well made amp with simple controls. I've found them to have really great low end and a lot of tonal variety.

I'd also highly recommed that you don't jump into a cabinet based on other players' opinions. You'll find a lot of guys on here who think that four 10" speakers are the only valid speaker configuration, but I've never been able to stand them. Try different sized cabs, diffent sized speakers and see what you think. Personally, I use 2x15 cabinets and I really enjoy the big rumble.

Good luck to you.

6. Peavey Sheffield 810TVX and Peavey Firebass.

7. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT

+1

8. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    i agree with the carvin head, get a r1000 used for $400-500, then take it to guitar center or any ocal music shop, and try out the cabs. the R1000 can cover every tone imaginable, very versatile, reliable, and cost effective.

with the other $500 you could probably get a SWR goliath 2x10 and then get a 4x10 or 1x15 to add.

just try out as many options as you can before making decisions, and stay away from carvin cabs.

9. How big of a cab can you transport. A 4x10 can usually be hulled around in the trunk of a car. An 8x10, will better have an SUV or truck. These days, I'm into Ampeg so if you're playen Rock and Roll, it just has that grinding sound that sits perfectly between the kick drum and guitar. $1,000 can buy you a lot of amplifier. Try and buy it from a local dealer that will service it if you (blow) it like the Fender.:bassist:

10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Yup, especially if you go the used gear route. There are alot of great deals out there.

11. thanks a bunch guys. perhaps to specify, if any of you guys are realy into amp sounds, im looking for something with a lot of low-mids, with still some tinniness and rumble. something like a cross between the sounds of ryknow and steve harris. thanks a bunch.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Used Eden Metro, or used WT-400 + used D-410XLT.
    The latter would rule.