Attention fellow Modulus freaks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by herrspektor, Jan 4, 2003.

1. herrspektor

Dec 21, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    I have a couple of questions about an older Q5 that I have, and my questions to Modulus have unfortunately gone unanswered. Here's a horrible pic of it, but it's all I have, please ignore the glare. Or at least try to pretend it's not there :cool:

It's an '87 Q5 Prime, two tone sunburst that actually looks like a three-tone (much darker in person) which I was told previously by Modulus was a relatively small run of Q5s that had EMG jazz pickups instead of the normal Bart soapbars. It has three control knobs (see pic) which are volume, blend, and a stacked bass/treble knob (or I assume that's what it is, please pardon my ignorance if it isn't, I'm relatively new to the Mod fold). The stacked knob is the one near the bridge.

My questions are...does anyone know what preamp this is? It's a 9 volt pre, by the way. On the preamp are two small jumper switches, whose function I'm unclear of.

Second, any suggestions as far as pickup/preamp upgrades? I love the bass, the pictures don't do it justice either. Just not overly thrilled, sometimes, with the electronics.

Thanks for any shreds of info anyone might have....

2. Sounds like an EMG preamp. The small switches control the trebble center frequency.
  3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    You probobly can't get an answer out of Modulus because they don't know anymore. They've been sold several times since that bass was produced. This at least is what I've been told by a reliable dealer, who by the way can't stand the new ownership.
  4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Your best bet would be to email or call Goeff Gould at . I'll bet he'll have an answer for you.

Don't know anything about the current management of Modulus being difficult. They are sure building some great instruments.

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It's an EMG preamp.