Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

attention: Geddy Lee Jazz bass owners.. I need your help with my neck!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Feb 28, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am having big problems with my geddy lee jazz bass neck. The d string and the a string have virtually no depth below the 8th fret. I have tried raising the saddles, changing strings etc. I am thinking of buying a new neck, one that isnt so thin, but first i would like to try to exhaust all avenues to try to fix the problem.

I was wondering if any other TBers who have the geddy lee have problems like this with the neck... or any tips what to do about it.

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Setup forum perhaps?

Is yr. neck relief appropriate?

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada

noisemakerdelux suggested that i post in this forum to enlist geddy lee owners.

I have tried adjusting the neck relief, but i dont know if i should add more or less relief and to be honest, i am pretty sure it isnt going to work. I have already adjusted the tr.

4. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    It sounds like you have a forward bow ... try turning the truss rod counterclockwise. You could screw up the neck if you're not sure about working it, so consider taking it in for a setup.

5. jamesr

jamesr

Feb 23, 2005
    PA
    Geddy Lee necks are bad news. I have heard from a lot of people with problems. It is way to thin to not have any type of reenforcement. My local fender dealer won't even stock them.

Take it to a authorized fender shop, and get it set up perfect. Than put it on ebay and save yourself a lot of headaches down the road. ;)

6. never had a problem with mine.

7. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I think the neck problem prone to GL's are myths. Someone started a rumor when they first came out because of the thinness of the neck, and that rumor is still alive today. After two years in the 4 seasons of western NY, I never had a single tweak to the trussrod. Most of those two years it rested on a guitar stand, and still, perfect neck. I recently sold it to help finance an American Series jazz, and the build quality of the two are top-notch and comparable.

The people who usually think there are problems with the neck are usually those who have never owned one. The owners of these basses typically claim to not have problems, and I am one of those.

The bass in question in these posts is a rare one that ACTUALLY has a neck problem, and it is quite possible the trussrod hasn't been adjusted properly during routine adjustments or from the original factory or in-store setup. I'll bet it isn't the fault of a bad neck design.

Good luck.

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I'd take it to a shop, and just ask for a simple set-up. I would not go in there practically in tears saying you think the bass is ruined, because they'll just sell you another bass, giving you a real minimum offer for yours as trade in, and then they'll do the set-up and sell the thing for between 5 and 10 times what they paid you for it. CHances are you need to loosen the truss rod a bit, but the only thing I can be sure of from here is that if you don't know the difference between tightening and loosening a truss rod, then you shouldn't be attempting to do either. As far as Geddy necks being prone to twisting, I don't think so. They are no thinner than any other Japanese Jazz neck (that I'm aware of), and those basses are way too popular for there to be any major issues with them. My friend has a Geddy Jazz, and my brother has a '75 reissue, and I do the work on both of their gear, and I think I've only loosened one of those necks 1/4 turn one time. Pretty good for a bass in Florida.

9. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    First, on-topic, by "depth" are you talking about space under the string, or are you talking about like a "dead area" of tone? Most folks here obviously read it as a neck relief/trussrod issue. If so, yeah, a pro setup should solve the problem, and if not, then yeah, you might be one of the (very) few (in reality) with a bad neck.

+1
    +1
    +1

Jeez, this oughta' go up on mythbusters. I live in central IL, one of the most brutal environments out there, never use more than a gig bag, and have used this bass enough to know there ain't no probs with the design.

I've also done a lot of research, because I was concerned about this before buying mine, and this appears to me to be pretty much pure unfounded negative propaganda from who knows where. IMHO, it's been disproven by personal experience. The action on mine is awesome, now thru three seasons with NO trussrod adjustments (actually expected at least one seasonal by now, but not needed!).

10. no way should the geddy be on mythbusters... cause after they bust the myth, they would blow up the bass anyway! ;)

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, the Geddy Lee bass has a different neck profile than the other Japanese Fenders. It is modeled after the neck on Geddy's pawnshop prize, which has had the neck filed down. It has a thinner profile front to back at the nut, and a little more radical taper towards the bridge than other Japanese Jazzes.

I have had a Geddy Lee Jazz for almost 3 years and have never had a problem with the neck. I have adjusted the neck one time since I bought it. And that was to set it up with stupid low action, like I like.

12. mine too
    adjusted the neck after I bought it and never had to adjust it since.

the neck on my Geddy is just rock solid

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sounds like it could be bad EQ settings from what you describe.

14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I would like to start by saying its definitely not the eq as i have cranked the eq in very many variations.

Also, the problem is depth in tone not depth height. To describe it further, the notes on the a and d strings below the 8th fret do not ring out properly. There is much less volume in these notes compared to the others on the neck. I dont think its fretting out b/c, in an effort to correct this problem, i raised the saddles of these two string significantly.

I think the problem is due to the fact that i adjusted the TR dramatically. In an attempt to get the action lowered to the point where I like it, I fully loosened the truss rod to the point where the srew had no "bite." Then that didnt work so i re-tightened it. This happened a couple of times as i was trying to find the sweet spot... failing miserably and getting very frustrated. Basically now its all messed up and i am not sure how to make it right.

When i first got this bass i tried to get it setup properly, but the dude at the music store didnt do a very good job and i barely noticed a difference from when i gave it to him. If i knew of a guy who could give my bass a very good setup i wouldnt hesitate to get that done. However, i dont know of anyone in Vancouver who is a bass setup guru. I already brought it to the guy I thought was the best. It turns out i was wrong. I think part of it is that those guys in the music stores dont really invest the time to do it really well. They just churn them out like a factory assembly line.

The advice that i got from a fellow TBer is that setup is something everyone should do themselves as only they know exactly what they want. After trail and error one will be able to setup their bass to their precise preference. The trouble is my trail and error learning is mostly error! :bawl:

after thinking about it i really dont want to buy a new neck. i really enjoy my bass, i just want it to sound as good as it looks.

Oh and by the way... yes, i do feel like a complete idiot for totally messing up my bass! :crying:

Now what should i do to fix this problem? :help:

15. lo lio

lo lio

Apr 10, 2003
    FRANCE 78930
    I've got mine for nearly 2 years now. I play everyday, bring it at work everyday with a gig bag. Never have a reason to touch the tr till i've bought it. i respect the gauge ( :eyebrow: )when i change the strings. And if i think that the neck got to be adjusted i'm gonna see a luthier not "guys in the music stores". Yes the neck is thin and i've got to respect it.

16. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola

17. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Umm, I think before the next time you try and setup yr. bass you should take a look at some guides to help you do this. Check out the setup forum and stuff. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is currently...

What's the situation with fret buzz?

18. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    There ARE problems with Geddys. Some have even been delivered with the truss rods maxed out. I had such a bass. In fairness, I also had a perfect one. They're great basses, but you can't buy one sight unseen. If the bass is good at the beginning, there's no reason to think it will be otherwise down the road. The poster has 2 or 3 possibilities I can think of: 1) a high fret somewhere on the d/g? 2) a "Fender S-Curve" on the neck; 3) a simple matter of raising the pups on the G side to even the sound?

19. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Mine came with the truss rod tightened the whole way and it still had a bow in the neck. Its not huge deal, i just removed the neck, loosened the truss rod and straightened the neck out the old fashioned way, all u need is a vise, level and 2 small even sized blocks of wood. took me all of 5 mins to straighten it out and have it back on the bass with sum super nice action. Never had a problem with it since

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Set the EQ totally flat. No cut of boost anywhere.

When adjusting action only use a 1/4 turn at a time and let it sit for at least a few hours before doing anymore.

Read our advice and take it. With the way your describe your setup techniques it sounds like you read part of it and went totaly nuts on the bass without taking to heart the fact that you shouldnt need to totally tighten or loosen it.

Also, while a setup could affect the way notes ring out it wont fix what you describe here. Its mainly to change the way a bass feels. In some cases it will help with dead spots or ringing notes, but not this.