Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

attention Hawaiian TB'ers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by andysvec, Aug 3, 2005.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    Anyone here know (or is) the bassist for C&Ks tour starting this week? They are coming to Guam for a few shows later this month, I hope to catch them. I've lived on Guam for the better part of 20 years, but lived on Oahu for a few years in the 90s, and have always loved their music. I was in Mackey Feary's band when he was out here on Guam for a year, it's a shame what happened to him. But I'll always dig the Kalapana and Cecilio & Kapono stuff, must be an island thing!

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    They played here on the 4th of July. I didn't go but a friend went and said they had a bass player and even a drummer for some songs - couldn't tell you who they were though. There aren't a lot of bassists over here so a lot of bands fly their guys in from Honolulu or wherever.

Ever heard of John Cruz by chance? He's a local guy here that's starting to get some attention (he's been doing it for 20 years). He gets lumped into the slack key stuff, but he does do some rock songs. He's got some big hits on the radio: Island Style and Shine On among others. He also won a Grammy this year - it's the first time they've ever had a Hawaiian category. He came and recorded some vocals at our little studio recently - really cool guy.

http://www.johncruz.com/

I'm guessing you don't get many concerts there so don't miss C&K!
    Aloha

3. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    Yeah, John Cruz's stuff is great, he's popular over here too. I don't think you can live on any island without hearing 'island style' on the radio. I didn't know he won a grammy, that's pretty cool.

4. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    Howzit,

I can let you know who the bassist is in a few days.C & K are performing at a private function this sunday in Kauai, that we are providing audio & backline for.

John

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Eh, no way. Are you with Creative Sound and Lighting by chance? I think we ordered some Auralex sheetblok from you guys a while back.

6. trainsales

trainsales

Jun 24, 2005
    I think C&K used Byron Yasui in the past. At least for recording.

7. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    No I do not work for Creative Sound & Lighting which is the retail division of Custom Audio.I work for another pro audio company.Byron Yasui may have recorded with C & K in the past,but he is primarily known as an upright player with national recognition.

John