Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Aug 18, 2002.

2. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Mine is a Quantum 5 with 2 pickups,never played a SS,but I'm curious:what is the "turbo" all about?
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA

The "turbo" means it's a sweetspot that the owner modified by adding a bridge pickup. Does it have SD Basslines pickups in it? I remember seeing one like that on ebay not too long ago. It was green, I think.

It's not a stock Modulus, so who knows how it will sound? Why aren't you going to play it?
  4. I DIDN'T KNOW THIS MEANT YELLING!! Thanks for the help. It's got EMG's.
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'd buy it, even if it has EMGs (use search to find out why, there have been tons of discussion). Looks good to me, but if you're unsure, just go play it! It's beautiful. I'd like to order a 6 like that!
  6. According to the seller- D. Jones at, It was a factory upgrade. I'll play it before purchase. I was just wondering how experienced Modulus owners likes them. Thanks again.
  7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Factory or not, it's a custom option, and not a new one (they haven't used Kahler bridges in years, they've upgraded twice since then). I've never seen one in person, and this is only the second one I've ever seen. I know I like the pickup setup and the bass itself, so I would imagine it would be a pretty good bass.

Not a fan of the EMGs, but it looks worth it to me. Depending on the year, the price may be a BIT high, but you can't find anything like this anywhere so it's hard to negotiate. I say go for it.
  8. It's a 1993. Are Kahler bridges good or not? Any reason why EMG's aren't favorable to you? I appreciate the input. It comes with a gig bag. Where could I get a case that would accomodate a 35" scale/Modulus bass besides Modulus?
  9. Jason, I justed sent you a PM regarding the Modulus bass your looking at. I think you might want to check it out.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  11. How can you get this "turbo" upgrade? Someone said it was a factory option but i dont see anything on thier site about it. I really like that kind of pickup setup, Anybody have anymore info on this? Thanks, Nate
  12. I emailed Rich Ross this morning. He is the Modulus National Sales Manager. Following is my email and his reply:
    I have found a used 1993 Modulus Quantum Sweetspot 6. However, the seller says it's a "turbo" sweetspot. (see attachement). Meaning it's a sweetspot with a FACTORY ADDED bridge pickup. Was this offered any time or did you guys do this modification? Please advise. I'm supposed to pick it up Wednesday or Thursday.
    Jason Hale
    Isonville, KY

Yes, we did do that for a while. Let me know if you have any other questions
    Rich Ross
    National Sales Manager
    866 MODULUS toll free
  13. Rich Ross (see above) has informed me that this bass was made in 1993. And was made as a Quantum Sweetspot Turbo 6 at the factory. I'm going to get it Sunday. I'll give an update.
  14. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I have an old Modulus brochure that shows that "turbo" option(I collected brochures for a while).Looks like a killer tone machine.
  15. Hey Jason, How did you like that bass? Did you try it out? I am still trying to find out if Modulus still does this upgrade. Thanks, Nate
  16. Nate,

I love it! it sounds great. It has the ability to cut through any mix. Very mid, punch, nasal, type sound. I'm just not used to that fingerboard radius. Maybe because there is none. I've always played fenders. But the neck is very comfortable for a 6. Highly recommended.
  17. Jason,
    You asked about some pros and cons about the sweetspot turbo. I've seen this design and I almost bought one myself. here's some stuff to keep in mind:

1. The pickups are EXTREMELY close together, so you really don't get a huge variation in sound panning from one pickup to another.

2. A phenomenon you get when you put pickups close together, you come up with phase cancellation when they're both on 50/50. In other words, certain frequencies are cancelled out when you have both pickups on in equal measure.

Modulus makes some great basses. My own 2 cents (for whatever it's worth) is to get a regular Quantum 5 or 6. The pickups are further apart, therefore you get more tone from the instrument.

Hope this helps.
  18. Jason,
    So you did get it? Did you find any problems like Zon4John talked about?
    Zon4John, what is this frequency cancellation you are talking about? Could you go into a little more detail about this? Does anybody have any more info on this pickup config?

Thanks, nate
  19. Hi Nate,
    All pickups create a magnetic field (since they are magnets). When you put 2 or more magnets in close proximity their fields "compete" with each other. Sonically, what you hear is a slight decrease in volume or certain frequencies being "scooped out" of your mix. You hear this when both pickups are on at equal volume.

Pickups are called transducers, just like microphones -- they convert sound waves into electrical signals. If you put 2 mics really close together, the sound waves from the mics start cancelling each other out at certain frequencies. This is called phase cancellation. The same thing happens to pickups.

I generally pan my pickups to favor the neck for slap and grooves, or the bridge for leads. I hear more pronounced upper and lower mids when I do that over just running the bass 50/50.

All basses do this to some extent, but you REALLY hear it when the pickups are right next to each other as in the Sweetspot Turbo. Lots of potential competing fields there.

Again, the other deal is - if they're pretty much at the same place on the instrument, you don't hear a huge difference in sound when you pan back and forth. If you're a "one-sound bassist",then don't worry about it. But if you like to put the electronics to work for you as a tool for expression, then it should be something for you to think about before purchase. I would call Modulus and ask them about phase cancellation between the pickups. See what they say.

Can you tell I'm not a Physicist? I hope this helps.