Attention, pedalboard owners!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassLobster, May 15, 2001.

1. Since there is a large number of people here, who have massive amount of stompboxes, I was wondering about how you protect your tone from degrading, while it zigzags through that endless electronic maze?

Right now, I have EBS Octabass, EH Bass Balls, Boss Overdrive, Dunlop 105Q Bass Wah, EH Small Stone phaser, EH Q-Tron, Boss Line Selector and Boss Limiter.

I've just recently started to experience some serious loss of tone, and I think the guilty one is the Bass Wah, since it's the most recent addition... Some of the pedals are in the loop of the Line Selector, since they are nowhere near a true bypass. Still, the problem persists.

So, do you people have any switching systems or bypass strips built - or do you just ingnore the thinning out and dial in more EQ? I'm definitely searching for a bypass system of some sort, that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

What's your story?
  2. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I have a midi switching system to help prevent tone loss while I'm not using my effects. My system is made by Digital Music Corp. (website is and is known as a Ground Control System. It's two pieces, a rack unit you plug your pedals into, and a pedal that stores combinations of pedals or other functions it can do such as amp channel switching, amp/preamp switching, etc. Not only does this stop signal loss from pedals that don't have true bypass but it also stops tap dancing on pedals.

Since you use a wah I wouldn't recommend this setup, but look for a Carl Martin device, I think it's called the Combinator or something like that, I can't remember the exact name at the moment. It has 8 loops and looks like it was designed to fit onto a pedal board, I don't know how well it bypasses pedals but it could be a great answer to your loss of tone problem.