Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attention Potential Gecko Owners!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Oct 10, 2003.

1. I just learned that Warmoth will leave the Gecko inlay off of their necks for $30. I remember a thread a while back where there were a number of people who said they would buy a Gecko if they didn't have a big lizard on the neck. Well, nows your chance!!

The Warmoth Becko is probably the best bang for the buck going. An incredibly nice bass, built like you want it for less than a grand.

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Just to verify this, I called Greg at Warmoth. For $35 they will leave off the Gecko inlay. Only problem is that they are not capable of adding any sort of other inlay (dots, blocks, etc.) to the Gecko neck. Its either a Gecko or nothing. Side dots are possible (of course).

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    damn

but whens the 4 or 7?

steve

4. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Oops. It must be $35 then. Sorry about that!

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wait a minute.

We have to *pay* them $35 for the privilege of them leaving off a piece of inlay, thereby reducing their labor and material costs?

***?

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    That's kind of lame, you pay extra and it costs them less? That's kind of bass akwards don't you think? (hey, there's a pun in there, hehe) I think the Gecko's are cool, but the Gecko inlay is kinda cheese, and where is the 4 string version?

I want a Gecko 4 with the hipshot tremelo :)

7. I see your point but come on! You buy a Fender and they add hundreds of dollars to the price just because they put a Fender decal on the headstock.

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

*** is right!!!! Its little schemes such as this that will keep me from buying their products. Dont even try to say it is becauseof programming.

It will be interesting to hear bwbass's take on this.

That is terrible!!:rolleyes: Rubish!!

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

No its not the Fender decal. Its because its a Fender.:rolleyes:

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Personally, I think charging $35 to leave off the inlay is lame. I'm guessing that the reason is that they assembly line these necks and removing the inlay means that someone has to track the odd neck and make sure that it is handled properly. Even so, this is still lame.

11. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Look at it this way.......rather than forcing you to advertise for them, they are offering you the option to help pay for alternative advertising. Most companies slap their logo on your stuff and they pad their pricing to cover the expense of advertising. I kinda appreciate the having the choice, myself.

But you know how it is - some people b*tch when it rains, and then they b*tch when it doesn't......

I think the gecko looks fine on the low-contrast combinations like ebony/pau ferro, but it's a little garish on the maple boards. And I kinda like maple boards, so I wasn't GASing for a Gecko much. But now.......hmmm.....

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im guessing that the upcharge is because they have to change the normal production techniques and do something out of the ordinary.

How come you guys dont make a big fuss about fretless being an upcharge?

Peace
    Nick

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

Nick- Im not talented enough to play fretless.;) :D

I have seen though alot of times that they use a different type of board or sealent. But not always and I think it sucks.

14. Call him back and ask him why they charge $35 to leave out parts. Will Gary tell you why?

[​IMG]
    Treena

15. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I think Batman (sorry, I maen Bruce) has hit the nail on the head

16. I agree with Nick man, A fretless would take less stuff and time to make, yet they still charge more, and no one complained about it.
    and I think the others are right about the fact that it costs more cause they have to change their normal manufacturing to not put the inlay there.

17. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I kinda dig the Gecko....but I'm weird like that. Maybe I can work the Gecko into the band's logo and everyone will think I spent a million getting the "custom" Gecko on the neck! (of the bass, not mine Ha!) :D :D :D

18. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Hmm, I wonder if they do Gecko inlays out of Koa? I think I sent an e-mail a while ago but never got a reply...:meh:

19. The Gecko bass is cool.

The Gecko inlay is a unique characteristic of the bass, therefore it is also cool.

For those who choose to "Let it be what it is" instead of whine about it, good for you.:cool:

20. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    My Gecko looks cool, yeah the Gecko looks pretty cool :D and it's $35 less, cool man :D:D