Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attention Roscoe Players!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Dec 4, 2003.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hey all you Roscoe fans, how do you EQ your rig?

After playing around with an Acoustic 370 recently, I got to understand the benefits of some low end EQ with my Roscoe. The Acoustic 370 has a graphic EQ with 5 bands, 50 Hz, 100 Hz, 200 Hz, 300 Hz, and 400 Hz. Basically gives you complete control over your low end sound. Pretty nice. So I got to playing with the Roscoe and checking out what sounds good.

Then I ran the line out from the Acoustic into another power amp, and discovered that the entire sound of the 370 is in the preamp. It sounds exactly the same through an external power amp. EXCEPT, that there's a compressor in the 370's power amp section that gives it that farty sound when you overdrive it with a strong bass signal.

So then, I replaced the 370 preamp with another outboard parametric EQ, and tried to dial up the exact same sound I had on the 370. The drawback of the 370 is that there's not a lot of control over the high end EQ, but that's easily addressed with a parametric. So here are some initial settings I came up with.

First, turn the bass control on the Roscoe all the way down (I have the Bartolini 3-band EQ on my myrtle body LG-3005). All the other controls on the bass are midway. Then set up the parametric EQ as follows:

6.5 kHz .3 octaves -20 dB
    900 Hz 1.5 octaves -15 dB
    450 Hz 1.5 octaves -15 dB
    300 Hz 0.75 octave -11 dB
    100 Hz 1.0 octaves -11 dB

This gives a very flexible starting point and allows the controls on the bass to have maximum influence over the sound. The 6.5 kHz EQ takes away that nasty Bartolini high end sound when you turn up the treble control on the instrument, it leaves a nice clear brilliant high end that works great for slapping (and it allows the treble control on the instrument to be useful throughout its entire range). The rest of the EQ allows the midrange control on the Roscoe to be maximally useful.

This same EQ works well through a pair of BagEnd 15's or through an EVX-180A. Also it works well with the LG-3005 fretless too. I like to keep the bass control on both instruments all the way down to get the best clearest sound, that Roscoe B string is so huge that no further boost is really needed. Plus, this results in the best string balance. It's a slightly odd sound, but in a good way, kind of like an Alembic had a "slightly odd sound". All I can tell you is, when I crank up the Stewart and listen to it from across the room, it's fat city. b