1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Attention S-Mart Shoppers (clearance basses at various places)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, Jan 6, 2004.

1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I can't stop myself for looking for bargains and have seen a couple of interesting ones lately. I'm an avid scourer of the closeout sections of various retailers websites and have gotten some decent deals that way. I thought I'd put up some links to things that are out there now:

Dean Razor Std 4
    - $599 list, $239.95 clearance
    - ash body, bolt-on neck, jazz pickups, preamp
    one left at Zzounds
    in stock at AMS

ESP C-304
    - $779 list, $339.99 clearance
    - 35" scale, neck-through, mahogany body, quilted top, EMG HZ ep hbs
    in stock at AMS

Yamaha BB1000MA
    - $999 list, $299.99 clearance
    - nice Yamaha P-J
    - the real bargain shopper goes for the green one as the black is like $369.99
    in stock at AMS
    also at Sam Ash

Yamaha RBX-774
    - $899.99 list, $379.98 clearance
    - 35" scale 4 with dual humbuckers and preamp
    in stock at AMS

There are some other things and basses out there but I'm only really attracted by greater than 50% off the original list price.

I've gotten some good deals this way (MTD Beasts, DeArmond Pilots, Akai Pedals) and passed on others (clearance Rumblefishes at MF). I hope this helps somebody out. Remember "Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart" (gratuitous Army of Darkness reference).

2. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi

Why'd you pass the 'fish? Not your look, not much of a deal? i have a 4 and a 5 rumblefish from ebay that I love

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Hmmm . . . it's been long enough I can't remember exactly (heck, these days anything over about 10 minutes is long enough that I can't remember but that's beside the point).

I have a couple of general dislikes about the Fish - the square body edge, the lack of an upper horn and the fact that the sound of one I had before did nothing for me (I realize that's only 1 example of the Rumblefish that I've tried, it may have just been a bad one or bad strings or . . . ).

I like the concept (semi-hollow, affordable, innovative) enough that I'm always tempted by them. I can't remember what I had going on at the time that I didn't get one. This was back when MF was clearing them out when Reverend moved to their direct-only model.

Heck, these days I'm finding myself liking Jazz-style basses a lot and even liking single coil pickups. Things I used to not like. And I do like semi-hollows so another Fish may be in my future somewhere.