Attention S-Mart Shoppers (clearance basses at various places)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, Jan 6, 2004.

1. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I can't stop myself for looking for bargains and have seen a couple of interesting ones lately. I'm an avid scourer of the closeout sections of various retailers websites and have gotten some decent deals that way. I thought I'd put up some links to things that are out there now:

Dean Razor Std 4
    - $599 list, $239.95 clearance
    - ash body, bolt-on neck, jazz pickups, preamp
    one left at Zzounds
    in stock at AMS

ESP C-304
    - $779 list, $339.99 clearance
    - 35" scale, neck-through, mahogany body, quilted top, EMG HZ ep hbs
    in stock at AMS

Yamaha BB1000MA
    - $999 list, $299.99 clearance
    - nice Yamaha P-J
    - the real bargain shopper goes for the green one as the black is like $369.99
    in stock at AMS
    also at Sam Ash

Yamaha RBX-774
    - $899.99 list, $379.98 clearance
    - 35" scale 4 with dual humbuckers and preamp
    in stock at AMS

There are some other things and basses out there but I'm only really attracted by greater than 50% off the original list price.

I've gotten some good deals this way (MTD Beasts, DeArmond Pilots, Akai Pedals) and passed on others (clearance Rumblefishes at MF). I hope this helps somebody out. Remember "Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart" (gratuitous Army of Darkness reference).
  2. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi

Why'd you pass the 'fish? Not your look, not much of a deal? i have a 4 and a 5 rumblefish from ebay that I love
  3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hmmm . . . it's been long enough I can't remember exactly (heck, these days anything over about 10 minutes is long enough that I can't remember but that's beside the point).

I have a couple of general dislikes about the Fish - the square body edge, the lack of an upper horn and the fact that the sound of one I had before did nothing for me (I realize that's only 1 example of the Rumblefish that I've tried, it may have just been a bad one or bad strings or . . . ).

I like the concept (semi-hollow, affordable, innovative) enough that I'm always tempted by them. I can't remember what I had going on at the time that I didn't get one. This was back when MF was clearing them out when Reverend moved to their direct-only model.

Heck, these days I'm finding myself liking Jazz-style basses a lot and even liking single coil pickups. Things I used to not like. And I do like semi-hollows so another Fish may be in my future somewhere.