1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Attention Sadowsky UV70 5-string owners: Alder or Ash?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MentalBass, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Alder

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. Ash

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  1. Hi all,

I'm GASing for something I probably shouldn't be... but then if we only GASed for the absolute necessities, would it really be GAS? Anyways...

I own a Sadowsky 5-string UV70 with an alder body and a rosewood fretboard, and I'm looking for a little more tightness in the low end. I find that except with brand new strings, the bass starts to lose its definition and gets a little muddy. Maybe it's the way I EQ, maybe it's the strings (both of which I'm going to play around with some more before I make a decision), but I'm wondering if anyone here has played both and can comment on whether it would be worthwhile to switch from alder to ash. Note: I want to stay with the rosewood fretboard for aesthetic reasons.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

MentalBass

2. bfc

bfc

Feb 15, 2008
    Fenton, MO
    Get ash but only if it's swamp ash. If it's solid ash (too heavy), then just get your bass in alder. Swamp ash is a great tonewood, though. It's got great highs and lows.;)

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Wrong forum. Try the "Basses" forum.

4. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    Alder + Rosewood board = "that tone!"

Ash + Maple board = "that tone!"

alder+maple(or)ash+rosewood usually ='s "meh... sounds ok"

I know there are many exceptions to this rule but typically when it comes to Fender Jazz basses and their offspring, the alder+rosewood and/or ash+maple combinations turn out best for the respective sounds of both.

5. Oops - itchy mouse finger. Apologies, everybody.