1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Attention Sadowsky UV70 owners: Alder or Ash?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MentalBass, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Alder

44 vote(s)
    42.7%
  2. Ash

59 vote(s)
    57.3%
  1. Hi all,

I accidentally posted this in the Amps forum, so here goes again:

I'm GASing for something I probably shouldn't be... but then if we only GASed for the absolute necessities, would it really be GAS? Anyways...

I own a Sadowsky 5-string UV70 with an alder body and a rosewood fretboard, and I'm looking for a little more tightness in the low end. I find that except with brand new strings, the bass starts to lose its definition and gets a little muddy. Maybe it's the way I EQ, maybe it's the strings (both of which I'm going to play around with some more before I make a decision), but I'm wondering if anyone here has played both and can comment on whether it would be worthwhile to switch from alder to ash. Note: I want to stay with the rosewood fretboard for aesthetic reasons.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

MentalBass

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    My Transparent White Metro UV70 is ash/morado. But I can't help you with a comparison, because this is the only Sadowsky I've ever owned or even played. But my guess is that any differences in tone between alder and ash would be very subtle.

3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I'd work on the EQ as I don't think you'll notice much difference.

4. I don't know what it is, but I love the sound of the SS MTD tapered .135 B. (the rest of the strings are medium gauge).

Something about them just makes a Sadowsky sing.

5. I have two UV Metro´s one with a maple board and one with a rosewood board, the rosewood board is a little less bright than rosewood, but still bright enough. I don´t use eq on the bass and I play with an EBS setup. :)
    The strings I´ve used have learned me not to use nickel plated, they indeed made both basses a bit muddy, so I only use stainless steel ones (the ones that are on the Metros when you buy them)

6. I assume you have a Metro UV? If so, there is not an ash/RW option (and actually, your board is Morado, not rosewood).

That being said, I don't think you would notice any difference. Body woods do not have a huge impact on the tone, except if they are much different in weight IMO and IME. I believe Roger S. pretty much believes the same.

If you dig the sound of the bass when the strings are new, and then dig it less when the strings get older, then.....:smug:... I would say it's a string issue!

What strings are you using? You might try the Sadowsky Blue Label Steels. They are very tight and punchy, and last a long time.

If you continue having issues, the only change I might consider is swapping the deep, wide, pure, sizzly HC pickups for Sadowsky singles. The singles are tighter in the low end, more mid present, and the treble frequency is move down a bit to the lower treble area. That can help keep strings sounding fresher for a longer period, since it's the upper treble and deep bass that seem to disappear most quickly from a string as it ages.

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Actually, the ash/morado IS an option on the Metro UV's. I have one. I believe the UV is the only model on which they (Sadowsky) pair the ash with the morado, at least on the Metros.

8. Interesting. I didn't realize that. That's a nice spec, more for look than a meaningful difference in tone between the alder/Morado and ash/morado. A natural ash body with morado board is a really cool look IMO!

9. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS
    Yeah Ken, Taken from the site:

The Ultra-Vintage '70s Metro features a full-size body, bridge pickup in '70s location (about 1/2" closer to the bridge), and a fingerboard with blocks and binding. Maple fingerboards are available with white or black blocks and binding, and rosewood boards have white blocks and binding. Each model is available with an alder or ash body, regardless of fingerboard choice.

Very Cool. :D

10. Hi,

my ultra vintage has the ash body and maple neck:

Various044.

With my bass, it never gets muddy, whether the strings are old or not. I do use Sadowsky SS (Blue Label) and I'm happy with them.

What I found surprising when I first received this bass is that although this combination of woods is usually known for brightness, this bass does not have that high end zing which I was expecting - a la Marcus Miller. Instead it is warm but punchy.

11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Ive owned over 20 Sadowsky's. I dont think the bodies have a huge effect on tone but I do believe there is a difference. I prefer ash bodies and would never get another alder body. I feel the ash body has more attack, where the alder is warmer and fuller sounding. Guess it all depends on what you believe the ideal tone is. If I want a big round fat tone, I just roll off the highs. With the alder basses Ive owned, Ive never been able to get the same fast, aggressive tone I get with my ash basses. Maple boards also help!! Go figure

I believe the ash/maple setup is the most versatile. Much easier to tone down this type of bass with the vtc and get a motown vibe. Almost impossible, imo, to get a fast, agressive tone out of alder/rosewood. My 2 cents

Rob

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Wadge, I get drool all over my keyboard every time I see that picture! Absolutely gorgeous.

13. Thanks for all the replies, gents.

Ken: I'm using Richard Cocco steels. I've been thinking to try either the Sadowsky BL Steels, DR Fat Beams or DR High Beams. I've also considered going to single-coils, so that's another option. Thanks again for the info!

Cheers,

J

14. spong

spong

Nov 20, 2006
    Ashburn Virginia
    There is a reason why old fender basses sound so good. You will find that while the ash may be good for growl, it takes far to much away from the rich bass tone. Not worth it IMO.

I remember ordering a bass in koa once because koa growls so well, however, it turned out to be a one trick pony and was not versatile at all.

I have an ash tele that is perfect for the tele sound, however basses serve and entirely different purpose.

15. Gee thanks, I think it looks very pretty myself.:hyper: