Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

*Attention Spector Owners*

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalloid, Apr 14, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    Sorry if this is unacceptable here, its really urgent!

I want to put elixirs on my Spector NS5CR. The bridge is to small to hold the low B string in that saddle...I need to know how to make it fit, if possible. Can I cut the string? Will it unravel? I dont want to file on the bridge at all, that would limit me to using the strings with a big taper on the end...

I have a friend coming to pick up the bass to have it set up (Easter Sunday of all days-weird...). I just paid $80 for two sets of elixir strings, and he is coming early tomorrow, so I can't go out and buy a new set.

Have any of you spector owners ever used elixirs on your bass??

HELP!

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    There is a solution.
    DONT EVEN THINK OF CUTTING YOUR STRING.
    I have the same problem with my Cort Curbow 6.
    What I do is to use a ehh,, damn I dont know the word in english!!
    UHmm plyers?? Spanish = Playo, Alicate , Pizas de presión.
    To press the string as hard as I can to flatten it out until it fits in the bridge..
    I have to do it always because I use a non-tapered .130 string

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had the same problem w/my NS-5 CR. I filed the sides of the bridge where the string lays. It dosen't effect the ball end so you can put any other string later on, i.e. taper core.

If you squeeze the string, you might damage it causing it not to sound right or break prematurly. DO NOT cut the string. it will definitly unravel!!!!