1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Attention Squier VM Jaguar Owners! (Bass Boost Question)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Malak the Mad, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Greetings All!

I have some questions for anyone and everyone who's ever had experience with the active Squier Vintage Modified Jaguars, specifically the one's armed with the "Bass Boost" circuitry. I've recently assembled yet another parts-bass (I know, I know…"gasp!:jawdrop:" and all that, right? :rolleyes::facepalm::yawn:) and I'm wrestling with an idea.

I'm debating on purchasing an inexpensive preamp taken from a Squier VM Jaguar, but in my case, it'd be going into a Jazz bass with a pair of single-coil pickups, not a P/J configuration. I'd like to read first-hand impressions from those who have experience with these electronics. And in the unlikely event you've tried it with a J/J config, even better!

If anyone is curious, it's a Jazz bass body that's been routed in the front, rear AND has a route for a side-mounted jack. This means it needs a control plate up-front and has plenty of room inside for extra circuitry and whatnot. However, since I've decided to utilize the side-jack, as well as a black, All-Parts Jazz control plate, I have an extra hole in the plate to use. I've tried it wired with a selector switch, but I'm not too crazy about the results.

Ultimately, I'm gunning for something that's effective, kinda unique, but still within a very tight budget. Many thanks, in advance! :thumbsup:

2. GK Growl

GK Growl

Dec 31, 2011
    What specific questions do you have? I have 2 of these Squier Jag PJs w/ Bass boost circuit and for what I do (classic to modern rock, some pop) I have yet to find any use for the bass boost circuit. I always play with mine completely off BUT am convinced that it still has an influence on the overall tone of these basses as they are much more bottom heavy than my other basses. I am afraid to remove them for fear that it will change my default tone which is suited to some of the heavier music I play.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  3. Malak the Mad

This was the thrust of my query…
    …and that was an excellent answer! Thanks, GK! :thumbsup:

I should mention that I decided to grab said preamp earlier today, especially while it was still available at a very low price. In the meantime, I'd still like to hear from more people on this topic.

4. Malak the Mad

Can anyone else add to this?