Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attention SWR users, try to stop me!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Jan 7, 2002.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    After deciding to downsize my rig (SWR SM-400S and Goliath III) to a combo and comparing the SWR Super Redhead and Gallien-Kreuger 1001RB/210 combos, I've almost decided to go with the GK. If any SWR users object to this, please let me know why.

2. Shumph

Shumph

Aug 25, 2001
    On the move
    If you are going with a combo you owe it to yourself to try the Eden Metro. IMO it is the best combo I have heard. (I tried the S Redhead and the GK Also)

S

3. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I did consider the Metro but I've been put off by its size and weight. Plus I tried out a 210XLT cabinet and wasn't impressed with its sound.

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I love my 1001RB head.

5. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    the sound is a matter of taste.

the transport system of the GK is way cool though!

kinda like a big suitcase :)

6. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i dunno..?
    that single 12AX7 tube in the swr does make the sound a lot better.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say get the GK. Yep, the GK would be perfect for you. GK all the way.

... mmmmmmuAAAAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA ...

8. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Do I detect sarcasm in that last post? Maybe from a die-hard Eden user?

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  10. Laddieo

Laddieo

Dec 16, 2001
    Aridzona
    GK: footswitchable tuner mute, but no place to put the tuner. Tilt back, and it's a good thing because how else are you going to see all those 11 knobs and 7 switches buried back in that little cave on a dark stage. would you really trust that thing on top of another cab if you had to make a stack? It's Grey! (Boost?!?) Face it... it's got no cool.

SWR: no tuner mute, but a place to put it at least. A nifty cover that acts as a tiltback stand. A reasonable number of controls, that face right up at the stagelights so you can see them. 12AX7 !! It's Red and black! And frankly, it's one of the "Coolest" amps ever created. :cool:

the defense rests

okay, so the chrome speaker grille is dorky...
    the defense still rests

11. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The tuning mute on the 1001RB isn't footswitchable, and there is a tuner out jack on the front face.

Also, the face plate of the GK is a white-ish gray. Black text over a white background is easier for the human eye to read than white text on a red background.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Eden Metro has a tuner out jack, and 2 footswitchable channels, and can go down to 2 ohms with extension cabinets @ 600 watts, and has black letters on a gold background, has a tube and a solid state channel, the SWR sounds better...

Aww, what the heck, who am I kidding? Get yourself a Peavey BAM Combo.

13. I use a SWR SM400-S and a Golitah Jr. and together they are lighter then the Super Redhead and it kicks Redhead butt.
    Amp in one hand, cab in the other...
    However if your determined to spend money...

14. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    the controls on the 1001rb are extremely easy to figure out and pretty straightforward. it's all a matter of personal preference though, in my experience, the single tube in my swr 350 never seemed to make that big of a difference in warmth.

15. Trade the Goliath III and get two 8 Ohm Goliath Jr's. Then you can bring the rig to fit the gig.

16. If you have to have a combo, forget brand loyalty and get what sounds best to you.

Otherwise, I have to agree with Donne and Zoomboy, forget the combos. Stick the 400 head in a rack bag, sell the 4X10 and get a 2X10. Add other cabs at your leisure :D .

17. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [If any SWR users object to this, please let me know why.

I am not familiar with the GK combo. Presuming it's about the same size and spec's at the Redhead I see very little advantage. The Redhead is quite heavy. You'd be much better off selling the G II and replacing it with a G II Jr. Same power and flexibility you currently have and much easier to transport then the combo. Just my $.02.

[I use a SWR SM400-S and a Golitah Jr. and together they are lighter then the Super Redhead

Ditto.

18. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    When you buy that GK, make sure you get the address of the nearest service center...you'll be visiting it often.

19. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Today I took a 100-mile trip to the nearest Guitar Center(the only store within 100 miles that stocked both the GK and SWR) and A/B'd both combos. First to dispel some myths about the GK: All of the weight is in the front portion of the amp, therefore the chance of it falling backwards when stacked on top of another cabinet is very slim. Also, GKs are very road-worthy amps; they don't break down often.

Sound comparison: As far as sound goes, the SWR has more bottom end due to its port in the front; the GK is a sealed enclosure. However, the SWR lacked note articulation (midrange I presume) which the GK had tons of. It seems as if the SWR is voiced more for slap players(which I'm not) while the GK is more a fingerstyle amp(which I am). The GK also seemed tighter(probably due to its sealed enclosure).

Portability: No comparison here; the GK wins hands down. Not as deep(fits through my car doors easier), and has the retractable handle for easy towing. Also, it tilts back on its own, a cool feature as seeing I'll be using this as a quasi-monitor onstage.

Aside: I have an 8 ohm Bag End 15 that I will hook up if the low end is insufficient for the gig. If I go with the SWR I would have to replace my 15 with a 4 ohm speaker to balance the power between the sets of speakers. The GK's internal impedance is 8 ohms, a perfect match.

I've made up my mind: Anybody interested in a SM-400S head or Goliath III cabinet? Not shipping the cab, though. E-mail me at JasonAMaurer@hotmail.com.

Thanks for all the input!

20. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [However, the SWR lacked note articulation (midrange I presume) which the GK had tons of. It seems as if the SWR is voiced more for slap players(which I'm not) while the GK is more a fingerstyle amp(which I am).

That surprises me. I couldn't slap my way out of a wet paper bag ~ I'm strictly finger-style player. I have never had any problem with note articulation or midrange with any of my SWR gear. Eden yes but SWR never.

[Portability: No comparison here; the GK wins hands down.

Yeah I've seen that system and it looks like a great idea to me. Seems to me I even suggested it to SWR at one point.

[If I go with the SWR I would have to replace my 15 with a 4 ohm speaker to balance the power between the sets of speakers.

Why would you have to do that?