Attention: Tech21 Sansamp RBI Owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doc540, Dec 6, 2004.

1. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Ok, I'm a dumbass. I'll admit that from the start.

But in the owner's manual for this unit there is no description or coverage of the front panel button which reads "active" and engages a light.

I thought it referred to "active/passive" guitar pups like some other amp manufacturers.

Nope, it is a bypass control for the entire preamp. When "active" the preamp affects the input, when "not active", it bypasses the preamp and the signal runs from your guitar directly to the power amp.

After changing my HO from active to passive pups and in the heat of the moment during a late soundcheck Saturday night, this dumbass couldn't figure that out by myself.

I called Sansamp and they are aware of its omission in the owner's manual, but someone higher up in the company doesn't think that function should be described in the owner's manual.

Hope this tidbid helps out someone else. :rollno:
  2. joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    Yes, I had noticed that too. I finally figured it out by trial and error. Glad you brought it up.
  3. Does anyone know what the second input on the back with the -20db pad is for? Just active basses right? Can you plug active basses in the front safely?
  4. The -20dB pad is for when you run the RBI in the effects loop, which has a hotter signal than a passive bass. The suggestion is to run unusually hot active basses through that input, but it really doesn't make too much of a difference. Remember, that the RBI isn't just a preamp and many users use it as an effects box in large rack systems. This feature just makes the RBI that much more versatile.