Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attention vintage PBass enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElMon, Feb 23, 2006.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Maybe I'm getting a little too geeky on this site, but do any of you think that the anodized gold pickguard on late 50's pbasses actually has an effect on the tone of the instrument? It seems that it might create a more snappy tone seeing as how such a thick guard would be similar to putting a top wood on a bass. Your thoughts?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I think you'd have a better time of things if you'd argue that the aluminum might effect the magnetic field rather than acting like a top wood. I'd think that the top wood sound factor would be based upon the fact that the bridge is anchored through the top...while it's not the same case with a pickguard.

3. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I seriously doubt it.

4. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    You might be reaching a bit.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Some vintage enthusiasts do claim that a metal guard causes a bass to sound brighter. I don't buy it. A metal guard might have some effect on the tone of an unamplified instrument - maybe it reflects highs back to the listener more than a plastic guard. But these reflections are through the air and won't be sensed by the pickup.

I think it's more likely that the misunderstanding is due to the difference in tonal response when you doink each type of pickguard with your finger. :p Again, that doesn't affect the tone of the bass!

Clearly, someone needs to perform a double-blind listening test of basses equipped with plastic versus anodized guards. ;)

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've always wondered the same thing, honestly ... more on the magnetic tip, but you make a point about a heavy slab being strapped to the face of the body.

Well, whatever, the '57 RI Fender is one of my favorite basses, any way you slice it. Great balance, clarity, and warmth. I really should have one.

7. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I knew you guys would deliver!!!:hyper: I think we're all ignoring the hidden factor of mystical tree nymphs who aid in the production of fender custom shop instruments. The Pino Signature in particular is more expensive because of the angel tears placed in the laquer
    :D

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Oh yea, its aluminum isn't it? Nevermind.

Its definatley the reissue pixie dust.

9. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Well, when I get one, and it kicks serious Booty, I'll credit it to the pickguard alone.:bag:

10. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    the aluminum pg's aren't nearly as thick as the plastic ones. I think they're even thinner than one of the ply's on the plastic ones.