Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attention web designers!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    When designing and maintaining your band's websites, are there any particular programs you use? I am aiming to take over maintaining my own company's website and would also like to design and maintain both a band site and a personal site. It has been suggested that I try out Microsoft's Frontpage. Is it easy to use? Are the results professional? Can anyone post examples of their handywork (especially Frontpage users)? Any help or advice on this matter would be very greatly appreciated.

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I do the one for my band. I use Frontpage '98. It really isn't too professional looking but it does the trick.

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I do my band's site too, which reminds me that it's in serious need of an update! ;)

I use Frontpage's html editor to do most of the coding the old-fashioned way. If I see a website that I like, sometimes I'll look at the html source and pick out bits and pieces that I like for my own.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I own Frontpage, but don't use it. From my understanding however, anything can be done with the program. It all depends upon how adept you are at using it. I'm not. I'm spoiled by a simple program that serves my purposes - well, almost - Print Shop Deluxe. It's super simple, drag items to where you want them, no codes, no frames.... really easy.... BUT: the pages get screwed up if someone's using Netscape (although I hear that's the case with many programs), it's dificult to do advanced things (or at least I don't know how) like adding feedback forms, or anything interactice.

A link to my website is below. Another note, the way I have it layed out takes no time with my program, with Frontpage it would be a nightmare to do. Frontpage deals with "frames" that I think you need a firm grasp of from the beginning. Not sure how other programs work, but I like the drag and drop method. It allows me to be more creative and less mathematical about the layout. It's super simple also however to create lame looking websites with Frontpage. They have simple basic layouts, but I don't like them.

That is definitely my 2 cents worth. I know very little about this stuff. Just what my limited experience has shown.

5. I use MySQLfront, notepad.exe and leechftp

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    For the other $0.98....
    It takes time to get accustomed to any program. It took me many tries to figure out what was going on w/Frontpage (just as long as it would have taken to read through any instruction book). Now that I have gotten down the basics, I hesitate to invest any additional time into learning a new program.

For me, what it comes down to is...does the webpage do the job I intend - internet presence. For me, it does (even without games and wild effects and movies). The Nerve site looks fine to me, regardless of how it was produced.

7. Guy

Guy

Apr 26, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Frontpage is a good program to use if you're just starting out. It's easy to use, but it's not real professional. Basically you have to do stuff the way microsoft wants you too, or it will look bad. Once you're comfortable using it, if you want something more professional, learn html and work in Homesite or DreamWeaver.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you don't really need to know html to use dreamweaver - in fact, dreamweaver is easier, imo, to use than frontpage, and the pages it makes are formatted much better.

if you want a web site that has any active content on it, though, you might need a more complete development environment than just an html editor. time for visual studio, imo.

9. thanx, this reminds me...

I need to find a new server for my band's page... :)

I made it mostly with notepad, and dreamweaver trial...

10. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i use notepad....Html is a good skill to learn.

11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Those are my feelings. My current web designer uses Paint Shop Pro 6. I bought it, but found that my basic Photo Deluxe did everything I wanted it to do (up until now, I wasn't doing web graphics, nor did I have any real interest in doing web graphics), so I never bothered to learn PSP (hell, I didn't even install it). I suppose maybe I should open the box and take a gander at what it can do for me, eh? That, or be constantly trying to get a hold of my web guy, so I can pay him $65 an hour to do a simple update!

Thanks for all your answers so far!

12. when i used (*shudder*) geocities i juss used that html editor. Since i moved it tho, ive just used wordpad or notepad

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Notepad, ws ftp le, other people sites as examples. Netscape is a bit less forgiving of errors than I.E. is, I think that's why frontpage sites are so bad on it.

14. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland

Gotta agree with u on that one John.

The great thing with dreamweaver is that if you buy the "studio" version you also get Fireworks (really really good image editor/creator for all your web graphics) and Flash 5 (for those whizzy vector animations). The great thing with all these products is that there a HUGE developer base on the web with tutorials, open source files etc etc. so you can get up to speed on them quite quickly.

Speaking of Flash 5, with a little imagination (and Actionscripting) its relatively easy to create dynamic/active content (eg real time news updates), also Flash handles streaming audio extremely well and can be integrated with quicktime, Real player or Beatnik.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, the macromedia stuff is cool. i used fireworks and dreamweaver to do my band's website.

16. BassDom

BassDom

Dec 1, 2001
    Brantford
    For my webdesign, I use MS Frontpage 2000. Like others as said, the program is as good as the user. I've made some pretty impressive sites using that program. The layout of this very site could've been created using FP2000.

For graphics, I'd use Paint Shop Pro. Easy to make graphics and edit old ones.