1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Attenuate DB for use in a flat

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by tumbaobab, Sep 29, 2003.

1. tumbaobab

tumbaobab

Sep 29, 2003
    Hi, I am new on this site!
    How do you attenuate your DB for practice with bow in a flat ? I have tried with the following techniques but better solutions are welcome:

- Cushion between fingerboard and table
    - Cushion between strings and table under the bridge
    - Bridge taken in sandwich with pieces of wood + foam
    - Foam on the table (holes are filled up)
    - 3 different layers of materials on the ground...

There is no more pleasure to play with all this stuff... What would be best ?

2. tumbaobab

tumbaobab

Sep 29, 2003
    I saw some similar posts and will try the sand box... A very good idea!

Maybe I should find a good material I could roll up the bridge to stop the vibration at the source too...

3. tumbaobab

tumbaobab

Sep 29, 2003
    I saw some similar posts and will try the sand box... A very good idea!

Maybe I should find a good material I could roll up the bridge to stop the vibration at the source too...

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Man, I SHOULD attenuate my bass when I play in A flat - it would make it harder to hear my intonation.

( *rim shot* )

Look, SOMEBODY had to say it!

5. There are practice mutes to install to the bridge.
    Should work also in b flat.

R2

6. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Lemur music sells a rubber practice mute. I have one and it is effective at reducing volume for arco practice. However, my wife can still hear it in the bedroom since the low frequency vibration will always find a way to move to another room through the floor.

You probably need a muting device and something very dense (like a block of concrete) to put under your bass on to stop the vibration.

kevin

7. tumbaobab

tumbaobab

Sep 29, 2003
    Yes thx solution is there : mute on the bridge + sand box on the floor.

I also have an opportunity for a Framus electric upright... it is more expensive than sand however !

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    If you have a cat, you might want to pass on the sandbox idea.

9. tumbaobab

tumbaobab

Sep 29, 2003
    I have no cat else my DB would have some stripes...

I will also study in my new cellar, it is a good place for concentration (no phone, no coffee machine, ...)

10. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    When I was a student sharing a small house with a bunch of grumpy late-sleepers, I erected a practice booth in my room. I was primarily a jazz player, and couldn't deal with the feel of a muted bass. So I hung up moving blankets on the walls in a corner, then strung ropes and continued them around to make a little cube, barely larger than me and the bass. Moving blankets are very thick and heavy; you can get them in the states for $15-20 each. I put a heavy towel under the endpin. Above me was attic, so I didn't need to do anything there, though you could easily cover the ceiling. The sound that escaped was maybe 25% of normal. Summers were difficult, though...