Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attenuate DB for use in a flat

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by tumbaobab, Sep 29, 2003.

1. tumbaobab

tumbaobab

Sep 29, 2003
    Hi, I am new on this site!
    How do you attenuate your DB for practice with bow in a flat ? I have tried with the following techniques but better solutions are welcome:

- Cushion between fingerboard and table
    - Cushion between strings and table under the bridge
    - Bridge taken in sandwich with pieces of wood + foam
    - Foam on the table (holes are filled up)
    - 3 different layers of materials on the ground...

There is no more pleasure to play with all this stuff... What would be best ?

2. tumbaobab

tumbaobab

Sep 29, 2003
    I saw some similar posts and will try the sand box... A very good idea!

Maybe I should find a good material I could roll up the bridge to stop the vibration at the source too...

3. tumbaobab

tumbaobab

Sep 29, 2003
    I saw some similar posts and will try the sand box... A very good idea!

Maybe I should find a good material I could roll up the bridge to stop the vibration at the source too...

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Man, I SHOULD attenuate my bass when I play in A flat - it would make it harder to hear my intonation.

( *rim shot* )

Look, SOMEBODY had to say it!

5. There are practice mutes to install to the bridge.
    Should work also in b flat.

R2

6. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Lemur music sells a rubber practice mute. I have one and it is effective at reducing volume for arco practice. However, my wife can still hear it in the bedroom since the low frequency vibration will always find a way to move to another room through the floor.

You probably need a muting device and something very dense (like a block of concrete) to put under your bass on to stop the vibration.

kevin

7. tumbaobab

tumbaobab

Sep 29, 2003
    Yes thx solution is there : mute on the bridge + sand box on the floor.

I also have an opportunity for a Framus electric upright... it is more expensive than sand however !

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    If you have a cat, you might want to pass on the sandbox idea.

9. tumbaobab

tumbaobab

Sep 29, 2003
    I have no cat else my DB would have some stripes...

I will also study in my new cellar, it is a good place for concentration (no phone, no coffee machine, ...)

10. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    When I was a student sharing a small house with a bunch of grumpy late-sleepers, I erected a practice booth in my room. I was primarily a jazz player, and couldn't deal with the feel of a muted bass. So I hung up moving blankets on the walls in a corner, then strung ropes and continued them around to make a little cube, barely larger than me and the bass. Moving blankets are very thick and heavy; you can get them in the states for $15-20 each. I put a heavy towel under the endpin. Above me was attic, so I didn't need to do anything there, though you could easily cover the ceiling. The sound that escaped was maybe 25% of normal. Summers were difficult, though...