Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attitude 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jun 6, 2002.

1. I went to the infamous House of Guitars this evening to look at small heads; they had a Hartke 1400 there that wasn't particularly impressive, so I'll probably pass on it.

Anyhow, on my way out, I noticed a couple of basses on the racks that had been signed by Billy Sheehan. I took a look and noticed that they were P-J configuration 5-strings. Anyone ever played one of these? I like Yamahas, and while the necks on these felt a bit too wide and thin for my taste, my curiosity was still piqued.

(The store itself has a reputation far out of proportion to its actual quality, I found. Lots of guitars and a fair number of basses, but nothing special. There was no organization whatsoever, just lots of stuff crammed into a space that's entirely too small. They'd do a lot better by moving into a bigger, more modern facility.)

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've never seen one of those, but that would be cool! I could rout out for a bridge MM pickup and have my dream P/MM! How much were they?

3. I saw those Attitudes there...offer them about $500 and see if they take it. I own 10 of the Attitude series basses....The Limited, Limited II, and the Attitude X...Love to play them...

I'm from Auburn originally and I take a visit every year when I'm home on leave from the Air Force...Good Luck!

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Hey, I never noticed before that you're from Rochester... I live a few blocks from the HoG.

I never looked at those Attitudes before, because the signatures turned me off.

I have never seen a store with so much NOS that is beat up enough to look used. But I must admit I've always wanted to try one of those Ampeg scroll basses they have up on top of the cabinets.

5. I'm working here this summer, for Manning & Napier Advisors in the Chase building. I live at 111 East--awesome location, crappiest building ever :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I think the store owner has a sort of Sheehan obsession, given the huge (and ridiculous) poster in the amp area. Maybe it's because hardly any Big Rock Bands/Performers have come out of western NY except Sheehan and the Goo Goo Dolls.

I gotta say, the city north of the fall line is pretty ugly.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I know a guy that Has an attitude bass. Its a four string p&J style bass. I've only played it unplugged and from the feel of it, I think its a decent bass. It sounded pretty good unplugged.. I've only heard him plug it in and play and I was dissappointed... maybe because he doesn't know the concept of tone. He just turns the bass up and everything else down.. :( ... but I think good tone is possible out of these basses

7. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Yeah, you have to get north of the city (close to 104) for it to get pretty again. I go to a church that's downtown, and I don't relish driving through that area to get there.

8. embellisher

Peter, is the 5 string $500? Do they sell online, or by mail order?

9. I didn't catch the price. They have no online presence, FWIW--I think it's a conscious policy. It'd be a lot more effective than all of those mailings they send out, but whatever. I'd presume that it's mail order.

I'll stop up there sometime and do a thorough checkout for you, M-Bel.

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think Yamaha's coming up with Sheehan signature semi-acoustic.. If you see their ads in BP etc there's purple one pictured with Billy, I think the model name was BEX-BS or something like that.

Would be interesting to check out.

11. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Jeff

Just looked at them for you:

2 basses.
    Both of them:
    Are "Yamaha Atitude Standard 5". Are signed "Billy Sheehan '95" on white/black/white pickguard. Have clear plastic protector sheet on the black control cavity cover on back. Are lacking price tags. Have strings that look slightly bluish, and feel kind of rough or squeaky- they grab a bit at your fingers. Necks felt and looked pretty straight. Didn't plug them in.

#1:
    Medium blue metallic. s/n HO13290 stamped on back of headstock. Fretboard is light/dark lengthwise stripey rosewood. Decal on reverse of body says that it is made in Taiwan. The two knobs are missing. Original strings, except that the D has been replaced with a different brand G string. Condition v good, a little scratched (not through the paint) on back, a little scratching/denting at top front edge of headstock. Still has "Yamaha limited lifetime warranty" hangtag.

#2:
    Red metallic, looks a little bit dark pink from some angles. s/n OZ13119 or OZ13129 and "MADE IN TAIWAN" stamped on back of headstock. Fretboard is light brown, basically smooth colored rosewood. The two knobs are fine. Original strings. Condition v good, did not notice any scratching on the body, a little scratching/denting at top front edge of headstock.

Asked price, without giving any idea of what I expected it to be, salesman said he thought they were about $1200 when they were new. He went to "look it up," came back with a price of $700 which I did not comment on either way (although I knew that someone had mentioned a $500 price). Mentioned (after the pricing) that I was just looking at it for some else I new online.

12. embellisher

Thanks for the info, Peter, and you too, Peter!

I need to look up their phone number on the internet and give them a call!

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    no pics available?

14. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Wow, 10! I've never really heard one. What is it about them that sends you so much?