Attitude Ltd. II vs Fender American Std. P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Alright, I'm a passive P-bass w/ flats playing freak looking to upgrade from my MIM P. I'm going to start looking for a part-time job next week so I can start pinching my pennies for a new P. I've narrowed it down to these two. A Mike Lull P5 is probably the closest thing to my dream bass but is way out of my means. Around a grand is all I'm really willing to spend.

I'll probably be modifying it BEAD. This makes me wonder if the neck pu on the Attitude will make the B too boomy :confused: .

I'm also wondering about the quality levels of each company. I have absolutely no experience with Yamaha and nobody around here stocks 'em so I would have go through MF. I know about Fenders questionable reputation, but I would be able to play the American Std. P before I bought it.

How do the tones compare? I hear Yamaha is more hi-fi/brighter.

The rig I'll be playing through:
    GK 1001RB-II
    Peavey 4X10--->monstrously inefficient POS
    GK Neo 2X12--->next on my wish list
  2. Yamahas rock, I got my TRB6 (MkI) about 5 years ago and it is still my favourite bass.

As for BEAD tuning, I know Billy S uses it on a couple of his basses and it sounds as even as the EADG (I won't say it sounds as great as I'm generally not a huge fan of Billy's tone).
  3. I think you can't go wrong with the P-bass. The Yamaha is a good choice too, but especially since you can't play it first, I'd say go Fender.
  4. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I own a pair of the attitude basses (limited) They are very loud and are just rock solid. They make a regular p-bass sound and play like a toy. Sorry fender guys. I have never detuned mine to b so I cannot comment on the low stuff. This bass through an ashdown is IT! When my AG 500 comes in, I'll let you guys know how it performs. A no nonsense, real word review.