Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attitude Ltd. II vs Fender American Std. P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Alright, I'm a passive P-bass w/ flats playing freak looking to upgrade from my MIM P. I'm going to start looking for a part-time job next week so I can start pinching my pennies for a new P. I've narrowed it down to these two. A Mike Lull P5 is probably the closest thing to my dream bass but is way out of my means. Around a grand is all I'm really willing to spend.

I'll probably be modifying it BEAD. This makes me wonder if the neck pu on the Attitude will make the B too boomy :confused: .

I'm also wondering about the quality levels of each company. I have absolutely no experience with Yamaha and nobody around here stocks 'em so I would have go through MF. I know about Fenders questionable reputation, but I would be able to play the American Std. P before I bought it.

How do the tones compare? I hear Yamaha is more hi-fi/brighter.

The rig I'll be playing through:
    GK 1001RB-II
    Peavey 4X10--->monstrously inefficient POS
    GK Neo 2X12--->next on my wish list

2. Yamahas rock, I got my TRB6 (MkI) about 5 years ago and it is still my favourite bass.

As for BEAD tuning, I know Billy S uses it on a couple of his basses and it sounds as even as the EADG (I won't say it sounds as great as I'm generally not a huge fan of Billy's tone).

3. I think you can't go wrong with the P-bass. The Yamaha is a good choice too, but especially since you can't play it first, I'd say go Fender.

4. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I own a pair of the attitude basses (limited) They are very loud and are just rock solid. They make a regular p-bass sound and play like a toy. Sorry fender guys. I have never detuned mine to b so I cannot comment on the low stuff. This bass through an ashdown is IT! When my AG 500 comes in, I'll let you guys know how it performs. A no nonsense, real word review.