Attitude problem... help me choose some new pickups!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by remo, Feb 8, 2005.

1. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Hi, please excuse the colour :bawl:

Can you guy's suggest some good replacement p/u's for these stock yamo ones? Active would be good. I have nfi about what pickups would fit in these slots. Anything that will help tighten up the bottom end and get rid of the awful hiss of these stock ones!

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a Yamaha RBX 765A 5 string (active) and replaced the stock Yams with Bartolini's. I primarily play jazz, funk, and gospel, so I like the fat bottom-end for slapping and crisp highs when I pop with these babies!

I'd imagine they'd eq just fine for other styles as well.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm not sure about the slots though..kinda unique so you may have some issues there.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I used to own the exact same bass, just it was black. Nice 5 stringer.
    The P was nice but yeah the J is too hissy and too silent compared to the P.
    I think your best chance is to keep the covers and just replace the PU bars underneath.
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Those are some pretty proprietary shapes.

What do the pickup routes in the body look like? You might want to consider installing pickups that are "close" in shape that leave gaps around them, then get a new pickguard that will cover the gaps. That would be my best advice.
  6. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    What Jazz Ad and Eric said are your "easiest" options.

1. Replace the pickups and keep the existing pickup covers.
    2. Replace the pickups and find a pickguard that will hide the gaps.
    3. Take it to an experienced luthier and have the body routed for a soapbar of some sort for the pickup near the bridge.

Good luck.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

Has anyone answered your original question on what type of pickup to use???

We all agree that the shape is of some consequence, but the way I read your request, you were looking for manufacturers. :confused:
  8. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    my thoughts exactly... I am really looking for brands that would be good for what I'm after, bottom end definition.

I know the stock pickups are not totally standard shapewise but I don't mind if the new pickups don't fit perfectly, just as long as they sound good. I'll get some exact measurements later today, I think the photo makes the P-style pickups look larger than they actually are. I might also take off the covers if I can and take some shots of the actual p/u's. also the P pickup on the low B side is slightly longer than the high G side, the high G "P" pickup looks to be more the standard "P" size.

so please throw some brands at me! :D

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Again, I'm partial to Barts, but I was in the same situation as you...wanting to replace stock Yamaha's. I did a search of what some of my favorite bassists used trying to emulate their sound (an exercise in futility, I might add), and Bartolini's were it. I've had 'em for 6 years and couldn't be happier! You might consider searching your[/B] favorite bassist/sound as a starting point.

Hope this helps!
  10. I put a set of emgs in a Tradition b105 ( a 5 string w/the P/J pickup arrangement) If you get the P5J set it comes with the 25k audio taper pots and jack you need to make the pickups work. I wired mine with 2 batteries (18 volts). It booms and/or growls. With a little twisting of the knobs you can get a lot of different sounds.
    I checked with Seymour Duncan and they don't make a P- type pickup for a fiver. I'm pretty sure Bartolini does.
    Most pickup makers have diagrams on their websites that show the physical dimensions of their products. I'd measure the pickups you have and see what will fit with little or no routing.
    With the stock pickups in my bass there was a huge amount of hum emanating from the jazz pickup. With the sheilded wiring and the potting on the EMGs the hum is gone.
    Good luck!
  11. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    cool, thanks... did you find the bottom end was heaps tighter with the EMG's?
  12. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    +1... in terms of the pups themselves, I'd look into Sadowsky P and J (I know his Js are available by themselves, tho not 100% sure about his Ps). EMGs also come to mind, since it sounds like Basslines wouldn't be able to accomodate.

Nice bass, btw! I've always had a soft spot for the Attitudes, mainly due to their use of the Dimarzio's (who don't make 5-string P, unfortunately, or that would be my first choice), their body shape, and IMO they have the best pickguard shape among basses. I've never been able to figure out why bass mfrs don't offer Strat-style pickguards. I doubt it's a trademark issue (I believe only the headstock shape is the major factor here), and it looks great!
  13. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Thanks man, yeah I also dig the shape, its a real no nonsense bass shape, I'm just not sure about the colour, but I hear the chicks dig pink lol. I can't complain though as I paid AUD $170 for the bass!!! which is like USD $120 just because the dude hated the colour lol... what a nutter :eek:

I'm going to take it down to the local bass store with the above suggestions (EMG or Barts) and see how much coin each option will cost.. thanks for your input dudes :p
  14. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I like the colour. Then again I had a Torana in Strike Me Pink
    If you're only using it in house and/or don't care about the appearance, don't even worry about the cover, just screw the pups in and try them.
    I've done a lot of experimenting with pickups, and the cheapest place to get them is off ebay (US or Oz) or the classifieds here. Resold a lot of the ones I don't like as much for the cost of the postage from the US as the only loss. Some I've made money on.

15. Yes. Absolutely. That was probably the biggest difference in the sound quality. It gives more volume and clarity than before. The factory p/u's got kind of "boomy" when you dialed up the bass. I like to run both pickups wide open and set the tone a bit towards the treble. This gives the punch of a precision with the growl of the jazz. Absolutely gives me a boner.
  16. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    ok.. the j pickup is no problem to replace, its the P configuration on this bass thats a problem. One of the P's does 2 strings and the other one does 3.. I can't get a replacement set in that configuration. So I ended up getting a MXR M-80 Bass DI. Wow, what a sound difference!!! day and night.. heaps more clarity and depth, I'm talking really obviously even my girlfriend could easily tell the difference bless her heart lol!!!

No the problem remains of the hissy noise stock J pickup. Can anyone suggest a passive drop in replacement for this J pickup? Something that is quiet!!! if that's possible on a J pickup????
  17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Recurrent problem on PJ basses, the J is noisy.
    Just get a humbucker in J size, like a Seymour Stack.
  18. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I have Lindy fralin PUPs is my Fender Jazz bass, and they are awesome. If you contact Lindy fralin, they can rewind any existing PUP for you. You just send them to him.

You might want to go that route, because the bridge PUP you have has an odd configuration.
  19. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    ok.. thanks for the advise... I think I've found a passive bart that will drop straight in! cheers!