Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

attitude with age

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by bassdowntexas, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Mike, this is my first post, and first off I want to thank you for all you've done for the bass, and it's players. You've been a huge influence on me for years.

Now to my post...
    I've noticed that with age(im now 31)my attitude towards bass playing and basses themselves has changed quite a bit. Where as many become "purists" of sorts about one kind of instrument or the other, I've completely gone the opposite direction. I used to be only a FEnder guy, etc. but now I really think that like most things this had become overcommercialized and so many young players are seriously buying instruments because of the name brand on it.
    I have played many "lesser" brands of late and acutally some of them have been better than what I used to own, and paid much more for.

I was wondering what most of you thought about this and if you think that maybe they just make better "cheap"instruments these days, or if maybe too many players are caught up in playing the "name" and the lesser known brands can't get a break.

Hey Mike, keep on keeping on...

2. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Sorry for jumping on this before Mike, but here's my 2 cents....

Myself personally I started out with Fender, even though I really hated it. I quickly developed "finer" tastes and wouldn't touch something unless it had a good name on it. My main 2 basses were a Warwick 5 string Corvette and an Alembic 8 string. I played these and many other "high end" basses (Pedulla, Modulus Graphite, etc) for quite a few years before settling down and just appreciating a bass for how it sounds and how it plays. Currently I am playing an Epiphone (yes, a cheap $300 Gibson product) Les Paul bass. True it is an "artist" model, the "Vinnie" (from Sevendust), but it's still a Korean (or was it Chinese? Like there's a difference in quality) bass. The only thing I have done to it to change it is load it with Bartolini pickups. I learned a little while ago that those pickups can make just about any bass sound good, so stop worrying about how much it costs, and instead focus on how well it plays and how cool you look with it. ;) Well, that's my theory on the matter anyway. That being said, I would kill to get my hands on a Lakland bass though. I have had the pleasure of playing a few of them, and they are quite amazing. I don't know what they cost, but I don't think they are too over priced.

3. Well, whatever works for you!!! Heck, my main bass amp right now is an old Kustom PA head. Sounds great! Play around on a bunch of basses, you'll know what one is right for you once you get it in your hands. I've gone through a WIDE variety of basses, my tastes in comfort and playing have changed over the years (right now, I have two Gibson RD Artist basses).

4. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

two rd's? no fair, i want one!

5. Essex Basses ;)