Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATTLTDII vs Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Claga, May 8, 2001.

1. I have owned a yamaha rbx765a bass for about 2 years now. And im gettin sick of playin a 5 string
    So im gonna get another 4-string(all i have is an old samick that looks as bad as it sounds)
    The choice for me is between a fender jazz(mexican standard model) and a yamaha ATTLTDII(the Billy sheehan bass)
    Cause i live in australia, they are the two best basses for the $1000-1500 price range that i can find where i live.
    Which one do you think is the better buy?
    Any other suggestions?
    In case you were wondering I play mostly finger style and slap and pop

2. I'd think an Attitude Bass is a bad choice for slapping cause the DiMarzio Model One sits right at the neck.

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yamaha is most likely much better instrument than MIM Fender.

You could always try to find used Warwick which are known for great heavy rock and slap sound, but they are very modern sounding so people in general tend either to love or hate em. Try before you buy!

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The Yamaha is probably a better quality and sounding instrument, but because of the pickup position slapping is very difficult and uncomfortable.

5. Thanks guys that helps. If i had the money id buy a musicman but they start from $3000 down here
    Its true, the fender does have a better slap sound but the yamaha seems to play better when playin fingerstyle. Its a tough call though because i slap alot(no pun intended). But i'll have probably end up getting a jazz and throw in some vintage fender pickups in it. Old school sound from a new bass.
    But i havent decided yet.
    As for warwicks, ive never seen one around here but i'll keep my eye out for one.

6. 3000 for a Stingray.
    Ouch!!

I just paid 1105.00 for a Ray 5.

It's a shame you don't know someone in the US that can get it and ship it to you.

I have never had a slap sound I liked.
    I've used Pedullas, Fenders, Ibanez, Yamahas.
    Don't know why I never considered a Stingray.
    I think it's appearance.

Bought the Ray 5, plugged it in clean and YO YO MA!!

I'll never use anything else for slap.

I can great fingerstyle sounds out of it too!
    Got a fretless one on the way.

--Charlie