Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATTN: ALL BASSISTS...YOU MUST GET THE PANDORA TONEWORKS!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pd_5string, Jan 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    You guys NEED, MUST HAVE, the Korg PX3B Personal Multi effect processor.

It has:

HUGE amount of GREAT sounding effects Wah, Flange, Synth, Reverb, Delay,
    etc. The Envelope filter is as good sounding as my Mutron III.

Built in Drum machine

Built in Metronome

Built in phrase sampler

Totally programmable

You can plug your bass in, and a pair of headphones, and off you go.

Check it out:

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=PX3B

The thing is like 4 inches long and 3 inches wide, 1 inch deep. VERY small.
    Super if you plan on doing some traveling and need something to plug into
    to pracice with. Aux input should allow for CD player output so you can jam
    along with CD's, although I haven't tried it yet. I wouldn't hesititate to
    use this to record with either. VERY super clean effects, and they sound
    awesome, even the envelope follower sounds great. I wouldn't use this to gig with as it really isn't set up for that (too hard to access and shutoff effects live) but for personal practice and recording, this unit is totally useable and excellent.

Many more features!

-PD

2. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I've had mine for a couple years. Make sure you get the wall-wart power supply since the thing eats batteries for breakfast. Other than that, it's a nice practice unit.

pd_5string, are you a Korg endorser?

3. I think the best part of the korg is the phrase sampler. You can sample a CD for 16 seconds, and then slow it down at pitch. For playing along with CD's in the late night hotel room it's great also. I took a stereo 1/8th inch cable with two mono male ends, and I use this for not hearing the bass track on abersold CD's or the Jamerson Book.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Had one for about six months, sold it - I don't use effects. Nice unit, just overkill for my needs. I'm much happier with my Dean Bass-in-a-box and a metronome!

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I have the korg multi-effects(not sure whats its called,but i know its not the pandora) but i dont really use it much anymore.I'm gonna sell it.im like heavyduty,i dont really use effects.the only 2 i like are chorus and boss bass enhancer.but with the music i like and play i wouldnt use it or need it.

6. Thanks for the info on that effect I'm sure it will be useful to some people that have been looking at the pandora (not being sarcastic.) I'm not big a fan of multi effects, small effects that break easily, or digital. And I hear the bypass on them sucks (bad history with korg multi effect pedals). Nothing can compare to the anolog and tube effects of yesterday IMO, maybe delay but I want to keep my envelope filters and synths nice and warm.

Thanks again for the info.

7. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    "I wouldn't use this to gig with as it really isn't set up for that (too hard to access and shutoff effects live) but for personal practice and recording, this unit is totally useable and excellent."

Not really an effects unit for a gig, therefore, to purchase this for that reason wouldn't be intelligent. BUT...for recording, and practicing it is great. I find the effects useful in getting you out of a rut and inspiring you to play differently. BTW: This is the new small red Pandora, not the older silver one.

-pd

ps: I don't work for korg, or endorse their priducts. I am just very happy with this thing and highly recommend it!

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    So am I. ;)

9. - Totally crappy sound

:D

No thank you.. no multi-fx pedals for me.. unless it's rackmountable 32bit AD/DA with SPDIF..

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    sorry allodox, but the pandora is not a crappy sounding unit. i'm happy with mine and it wirks good with guitar too. for that price nothing come close.

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I wouldn't say that the sound is crappy. It's not the quality of the individual pedals you can get from EBS, T.C. Electronics or some other sources but the Pandora unit was good enough for me that I decided not to go the individual pedal route at this time. I have another rackmounted multi-effects unit that also helped me to come to that decision.

12. I'm with you barosso, though my experience is with the slightly older floor version:

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=AX1B

I think they're excellent for what they are: combination tuner, cheap but not too nasty multieffects unit (with expression pedal in the ax1b) and amp simulators which help to add flavour to the other (esp. distortion) sounds or improve on a lacklustre tone ...

a good thing to help you work out what you want to buy better versions of, a good practice tool, effects may provide inspiration when you're otherwise out of ideas (or intoxicated).

Can play live with it, but its not pro gear.

I found the effects well suited for bass - the phaser left a lot more bum in the signal than a boss guitar phaser (if i recall correctly) ..

a few drawbacks: mine's a little noisy, and not true bypass; the distortion sounds arent that hot; unlit lcd (bad on stage), only 1 effect of each kind on at once (max 1 each of ampsim, dist/comp, FX, delays), the pedal (ax1b only) controls 1 preset FX parameter only, eg for the flanger, pedal=depth, whereas for chorus its rate // on the upside, theyre pretty beer resistant and do what they do well.

I used mine happily live until i finally got a sound i liked without it .. then gradually stopped using effects ... for now ... .one day perhaps ... nah.

ps slightly better sounds than zoom IMHO, though slighly less features (2 years ago at least, when i bought it) ... though i love my zoom drum machine

13. to me.. it sounds crappy 'mkay ? :D

ok. compared to the zoom 506II, it indeed sounds perfect.. but compared to any analogue pedal ( even the el-cheapo's like ibanez and nobels ) it sounds and feels like one of those " my first sony " thingies.. :) I used to have an AX1B.. but no multi-fx pedal can ever compete with analogue pedals

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well... all the comments and descriptions in this thread have convinced me of the exact opposite. I don't need it it and I wouldn't use it, even if I was given one for free!

15. Do you guys really like it, or is this just because Fieldy is listed on the add in bassplayer ?

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wow - yet another reason to avoid it like the plague! ;)

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I actually think that some of the effects are better on this unit than you can get on some individual pedals. There are certainly a lot of pedals that can do a better job with specific effects but this is not a bad multi-effects unit. Ideally, I would love to go with all individual effects and I'm sure that I will at some point. The Pandora is simply a lot more effective than I thought it would be.

I don't do Korn man. ;) I just happen to think that it's an excellent tool for the money. I would never say that it's a must have item though. It works for me but you may feel it's crappy. That's cool. Freedom is a wonderful thing. Buy what makes you happy. :)

18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    By the way, Stu Hamm is also pictured in that ad along with Fieldy. I didn't buy mine because of him either. :)

19. So is billy sheehan.. :)

billy... stu.. fieldy.. what's the difference ? :D

20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's a good one! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.