1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Attn. all TB medical professionals

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by capnsandwich, May 29, 2012.

1. Seeing that TB is a great source for legal advice I also figure this would be a great place for some medical advice as well.

Here it is. Every morning when I wake up from at least 7-8 hours of sleep, I feel a very strong pain in the right side of my abdomen. This only happens when I sleep for longer than 6 hours. I can usually just get up and, in an hour, the pain would be completely gone. It sucks because the pain is almost breathtaking and it makes it really uncomfortable to get up and bend over. I have no idea why this is happening. I've asked several doctors and no one knows a thing. My sleep doctor (I have sleep apnea that's currently being treated with a CPAP machine and losing weight) has no clue what could be causing this. They say try a different mattress but it happens in any bed, not just mine. I checked WebMD and other sites but they're so vague and their symptoms never line up with mine.

Anyone else suffer from this and does anyone know what this could be?

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Hernia? Appendicitis?

rectal probing ala nighttime alien abduction? Succubus/incubus?

I'm not a professional but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night

3. I've ruled out appendicitis since it goes away after I'm up for a half hour to an hour. I don't have a hernia and I'm sure if I was abducted by aliens, the baby would wake up, thus waking my wife and I up as well.

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    It's bizarre, I'll give you that much. Have you gotten any blood work done? That might pinpoint an infection of some sort, etc. Could be muscular too? Maybe you're sleeping in a funky way or something like that?

5. I had blood work done for my kidneys and liver, both were negative. No matter how I sleep, it hurts. It's always when I get a good nights sleep too, never when I just lay down or wake up early. 6-8 hours of sleep per night will bring it on. Anything less than that and I'm fine. It's definitely bizarre. I also had this 3 years ago when I was off for a broken foot.

6. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I'm not a doc either, but since you've had the blood work done, I'd say stress or diet or both. Do you eat heavy meals before bedtime?

7. Nope. I'm trying to lose weight so I don't eat after dinner. As far as stress goes, I just quit my job of 11 years because of stress and am a lot better of stress-wise. I feel as though a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I'm playing music right now just to get some money com in in until I find another job.

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Could it be diverticulitis? Your intestines could be getting twisted in your sleep. I would suggest colon cleanse and probiotics. Or see a gastroenterologist.

9. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Could just be the residual effects of stress. Daily yoga is good for that.

10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    If you are not exercising right now then a supervised regimen could help for sure. Inactivity can cause a host of ailments.

11. Well, the issues aren't really in my stomach. They're more on my right oblique area, from my hip bone to just under my ribcage. Sometimes, when it's bad, it'll start going going into my lower back.

12. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Your description definitely sounds digestive in nature to my unprofessional ears. Hence the yoga suggestion. It's good for massaging the organs.

13. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    It's an odd thing to suggest but have you thought about Lyme Disease? Seriously.
    When I had it, one of the only real symptoms that I had (other than the bullseye rash) was a similar pain in that same area. It felt a lot like when you run and get that cramp under the ribcage, only it was limited to my right side and was way bigger than just that small "cramping" area. It would come and go too. (though not as predicable as what you're describing). It's a real long shot but who knows...

14. I don't know the first thing about yoga. Is there yoga for fat people?

15. Never considered Lyme Disease. However, this only occurs when I sleep and up to an hour after I wake up.

16. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    It's for anyone who wants to. You can find beginner level books/vids on amazon.

17. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    +1

Since we got the puppy I've been out walking the hills behind us every day and most of my little (and medium) aches and pains have melted away. Amazing what a 20-30 minute walk every day will do for you.

Yoga is good, Tai Chi is another good option for fixing stuff that's just "out of alignment" rather than "broken". As always, find a school that feels right for you.

18. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I wouldn't rule out appendicitis entirely. I had similar symptoms, though mine would last for a couple days. After 3 hospitalizations and no answers, my friend's dad, who is a general surgeon, admitted me and opened me up. Turns out my appendix was scarred, indicating intermittent flareups. It's very rare, but I'm one of the few "chronic appendicitis" cases. So the dang thing would flare up, cause me to suffer enormous pain, hospital 3 times for IV hydration, pain would subside then I'd return to normal for another 8-12 months when the same thing would happen all over again. The GI doc I had been seeing recommended a psychiatrist because he thought it was psychosomatic.

19. Illini10

Illini10

May 15, 2012
    Elmwood, IL
    Have they checked your gall bladder? Have you had any abdominal imaging studies performed (CT or Ultrasound)?

20. My gallbladder is gone, happened in 2004 in a life saving operation. I had gangrene and was about a day or two away from death.

Speaking of which, I was wondering if maybe this could be residual effects of having a necrotic gallbladder, being that it's right up next to the liver, and it could have damaged my liver somehow.

BTW, I'm borrowing some Buddakan yoga videos from a buddy of mine. Maybe it'll help.