Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attn anybody in HS Band or anybody that cares!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Our high school concert band went to state contest last week and got straight ones on our stage performance and 2 ones and a two on our sightreading, which when put with our Superior at Regional Marching Contest means we got

SWEEPSTAKES!!!.

That's only been done 3 times in school history, and very few bands get sweepstakes in our area. We've really worked our butts off for this. My class (juniors) is really the heart of the band
    (there's only 3 seniors) and we vowed that we'd get at least 1 sweepstakes before we graduate and we finally did it!:D

How are the rest of you band nerds' groups doin'?

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Congrats! I know what it's like to be a band nerd! Every contest from 8th grade to 11th our band got all 1s. Marching and symphonic. I'd say that was pretty dang good since we always averaged around 250 people! I was a nerd, but I quit my senior year...took senior early-leave.
    Congrats, man!

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Ha! We have about 35 in the band now, but 4 people were ineligible to go :p

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This one time, at band camp, I stuck this thread in MISCELLANEOUS. It was really funny.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Hm. OK. I guess I can see why since it is music related.

6. Good! really good! My school jazz band is playing a state wide jazz band festival on saturday!!

7. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    our bands are good.... just not good enough apparently. our concert bands don't really do competitions, our jazz band plays nursing homes, and our marching band, even though i believe we have PLENTY of talent and potential, can never seem to get much more than 5th place at the state championships =(

8. our band is mediocre- we have a handful of excellent individual musicians (each happens to be a section leader) but when you put us all together it takes a lot of elbow grease to get a decent sound out...

our jazz band however is awesome- not as good as a lot of other schools, but we're young and we're building. its a great program with an awesome conductor, and our rhythm section got a superior award!

yes, you all think that applies to me, but it doesnt. i play lead trumpet....my boyfriend plays the bass for us though so its the same thing, right?
    :rolleyes: :D

9. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Good luck! Im sure you'll do great.

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    snip: can never seem to get much more than 5th place at the state championships =( : paste:

You guys make state?!?! This past season was the closest we've gotten in the past 4-5 yrs. We were .6 away & who'd a thunk the year we got closest the show started with a bass solo :D ;) I'm in the freshman concert band-we went to contest in group 3 [easiest] and got a 1st division. Our jazz band doesn't do real competitions-i'm in that too though. Our #1 Show Choir-First Edition is one of the best in the state & has swept the awards [percussion, keyboards, horn line, & bass along with choreo & vocals] i'm in that too. I'm pretty much the department bassist now :D Back to the original poster: What's sweepstakes? I don't really have a clue what it is-i'm a freshman so pardon my ignorance/idiocy.