Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATTN: avatar 2x12 owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Do the speakers sound like a "big ten inch" or a "small 15 inch" ? Also, do they easily get loud like 10 inchers do? Or are they just there for the lowend like a 15'' cab?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    They sound like 12s...

Nice full warm lower mids that are lacking in 10s and are less present in 15s (at least EVM 15s because that's all I have).

While I can run a 1x15, 2x12 and 2x10 simultaneously, the 2x12 and 2x10 compliment each other very nicely.

The B212 sitting on the floor has plenty of low end as far as I can tell. I haven't played a gig with one yet but it sure shakes the house.

A picture of my whole obnoxious rig is posted on the "Help Me Decide" thread.

3. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    BillyB s right. They sound like 12s. I have a B210 and a B212. Together they are great. Alone, the 212 can be just about anything you want it to be. Great stand alone versatility.

4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    To me, the B212 (Delta) is all about low end. If you run your amp flat you're going to notice the pillowy bottom it throws out more than anything. I have to run my B210 with it to get any kind of upper mid punch/definition. Of course you can turn up the high mids with eq, but the 212 doesn't do that naturally.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Its a great standalone cab - I love it. The lowend is just as good as a 15" if not better. I think its better.

6. w/o starting a whole new thread, which 2 cabs would compliment each other best, 210 and 212 or 410 and 115. Would 212 and 410 be the best ?

7. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    In my view a 210 and a 212. Now keep in mind, that's what I have. (But I have it because it's what I wanted :D .)

8. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'm with Mattski & BillyB, 210 & 212 each have what the other doesn't. I've done a lot of gigs with just the 212, but the sound I was looking for was strictly old school (rockabilly) so I wanted fat bottom tame mids and no highs. It also worked well for some jazz gigs. For rock, you're gonna want some 10s though.

9. How would the sound differ if i used 2, 2x10 cabs, rather than 1, 4x10?

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    See the "Is anybody using two Avatar B210s?" thread for some insight on that...

Since both of these threads are near each other on the forum, I have to wonder if you're looking around on TalkBass before asking questions...

11. I just recently bought an SWR 750x head and now im contimplating which cabs. I immediatley thought Avatar cause of the awesome price. The 750x has can't do 2 ohms but can do 2.6 so a 4 ohm cab and an 8 ohm would be good. I was wondering how much of a differnce there is between lets say an avatar 212 and 210 and an Ampeg svt 610. The the svt alone costs more than both the avatar but I am looking for the best sound not best price. Would the ampeg give me a better sound for classic rock like Led Zeppelin and also some newer stuff like Rage Agaisnt the Machine and Tool ? Any suggestions ? Thanks a lot.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The SVT-610 is a monster! The low end is enormous. The cab is also kind of big and it's heavy...depending on whether that matters or not.

13. Im a big guy with a van ( hauls all music equipment ). I think I can handle it. I just cant find a used one, anyone know someone who wants to sell one ?

14. soulgroovn

soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    I hope I'm phrasing this correctly, but is the 2x12 any 'looser' sounding that a 2x10 or 4x10? If so, is the difference night and day or barely noticable? I prefer a tight and focused sound rather than wide and boomy.

15. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    SpiralEyes123...how about the two SVT-610HLFs that are up on www.bassgear.com?

Soulgrovin...Yes, they're looser than an Avatar 210 (and probably the 410 too) but they're not sloppy like an 18 or anything.

16. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    The B212 is not as punchy as the B210, it is significantly fuller, though. As has been mentioned before, the B212 requires a different EQing than a B210, or a B212 with a B210 for that matter. It is not boomey in any sense of the term. (In my opinion, of course.)

The B212 is a great overall cab. If I could only have one, that's what I'd have. (Dave, you can send me the check now.:p )

17. I have another question. Which of these differnt cab combination would sound the best. An Ampeg 6x10 with an avatar 2x10, an Ampeg 8x10, 2 avatar 4x10s, or an avatar 4x10 and 2x12.

How much of a differnece would there be in 2 avatar 4x10s and an Ampeg 8x10 ?

18. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    For those of you looking at getting 2 avatar cabs...If I were you, I'd seriously get a B212 and a B210 (or B410 if more speaker area is desired). That would be the best Avatar combination IMO.

19. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    so what do you guys think of a 2x12 together with a 4x10 for a heavy, high gain rock environment? 212 on bottom with 410 on top

20. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    The Avatar B2X12 is great. Sounds fuller than a 2X10 with more definition than a 1X15. Truly a great standalone cab.