ATTN: Bass Player magazine subscribers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DigMe, Feb 20, 2003.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What day of the month do you get your Bass Player Mag? Let's just use January/February as example months. Do you receive your Feb. issue in January? About what day do you usually get it?

I used to get February's issue in mid January before I went overseas. Now that I've been back and resubscribed I've been getting February's issue on say Feb. 15th or later!! In fact I STILL haven't received February's issue...this is the latest it's been so far. I don't know if it's the post office of this town (which is definitely not as efficient as the one in my old town) or the company. So let me know so I can have hard facts before I complain.

brad cook
  2. uh...i got the march issue at the end of last week.
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I suspected as much. That's how it used to be with me. I kinda suspect the local post office but I'm probably gonna contact BP and see what they say.

brad cook
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I don't subscribe anymore(mostly 'cause the magazine arrived in such poor condition).
    That said, here's what I've noticed-

When I did subscribe for many issue arrived AFTER the music stores & Barnes/Noble had it. Usually a week or so on average.
    That irked me.
    Then, when I cancel my subscription...I hear you guys chirping about the latest issue & meanwhile, the stores here still aren't stocking it. Hell, you guys are talking March when I just got February's issue about 2 weeks ago. The February issue wasn't in my Va. Beach B&N until 2-3 days into the month!

Someone is killin' me...
  5. i got the Feb. Issue.. it had Mike Gordon on it
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Me neither, Jim (mostly because of what's printed on the pages after Bill Leigh and Miller-Freeman turned it into a bad joke). :rolleyes:
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Honestly I don't see how Miller-Freeman suddenly started doing anything differently when Mr. Leigh became the editor. What exactly is it that you don't like?

brad cook
  8. Just received my March copy today -- Stanley on the cover. :cool:
  9. wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    anyone heard the new stanley record?
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Well I haven't received my March issue yet, but I never get my BP at normal intervals. Sometimes one will be late, then the next one will be early. One time I got two issues in the same week. Kinda like a girl in puberty:eek:
  11. I agree that the John Goldsby column is the only decent thing about BP.
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Well, I'm hooked...I have every issue neatly in order in a box, too.
    I am a completeist kinda yutz...need I say more?

That said-
    IMO, Bass Player with its warts & faults is still 'OK'. I recall when Guitar Player was the only game in town & whew(P.U.) attempting to capture the same target crowd as Guitar World-
    Did they ever take a wrong turn(IMO) back in the late '80s/early '90s.
  13. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I haven't gotten 3 of the last 5 months, and still haven't gotten the march issue. I've talked to BP, and my postman, but still nothing.
  14. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    When i was a subscriber, I normaly got the mag after the 20th of the month (i.e. the Jan issue after 20 Jan). Very frustrating indeed. I put up with that crap for years.:mad:
  15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Miller Freeman hasn't been BP's publishing company for at least a couple years.
  16. I picked up the Feb issue on Jan 30th in a local Chapter's bookstore here in Canada. I don't bother subscribing as I only pick up the occasional issue of interest (in this case, to have some eye candy while flying on vacation). My experience with all magazine subscriptions (except National Geographic in the old days) has been marginal at best, so I pay the extra for the copies I want.
  17. My experience is similar to Jim K's. I'd usually get it mid month, but, sometimes as much as 10 days late. I think it's a shadow of its former self. That issue a few months back with Tony Kinal on the cover with that keyboard got me real ticked off. My subscription's about to run out, I think I'll let it and just buy it at Barnes & Noble.

I wonder if anyone from BP mag reads this forum?

Wake up guys. We can't all be wrong.

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

There is a user registered as "Leigh" who has never participated/posted.....which is pretty much what I would expect.

The magazine used to take a stab at telling you what gear the bassist was using on an album. The thing has decayed so much under Bill Leigh, they don't even make an attempt to do that any longer. Maybe their advertisers' gear wasn't always being used :rolleyes:

Ed Friedland was always tied up at as the mod of their bass forum. But he's no longer there AFAIK. I guess he became as tired of people sucking-up to him there as I became of seeing that membership puckering their lips.

Terry Buddingh would be a great addition here. It's hard to argue with empirical expertise.
  19. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I agree rick! Got my LAST one yesterday.
  20. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    March just came 2 days ago I get mine week and a half before the store around here gets them.

On content my bass teacher a couple months ago lent me a Bass Player from 94 I think since it had an article about Aerosmith and I was going to see them live that week well anyway it was such a good mag that I decided to subscribe to it. Well when my first one came in the mail it was half the size and the cover story was on Synths! :(

It also looked like it was eaten by a dog, stepped on, and paged through by Edward Scissorhands there was so many rips.