Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

attn: BassHeads (not amps)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RawBassist, Sep 12, 2003.

1. RawBassist

RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    USA
    I'm kinda into the techno thing that makes the subwoofers on anything go crazy. I love to see well executed car audio systems that can shake stuff down the road and still have good sound quality (yes it sounds ironic... i know.) Anywho, i've been trying to create some stuff that is good for rattling some subs. Anyone know what frequencies or notes that are especially good at doing that? i've downloaded some things that are kind of cool that do that, but i found a beat creator that i can make stuff, but it doesn't tell me the frequencies. Am I a big dreamer and alone or are there other bassheads out there?

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Acoustic mechanical research has shown that the
    normal limit of human hearing is 16 Hz. Hz =
    cycles per second. {1}

Low C(0) is defined as 16.351 Hz {ibid}

My 4 string is noted in my sig:

Generally, the subwoofers tend to work the lower end of the scale, I have seen threads here noting that 30Hz or less are 'feelable' from air pressure
    as opposed to audible. Do a search to find that.
    There is a fair amount of discussion about the ability of woofers to resonate at this frequency, as opposed to its harmonic overtone series, which suggests the fundamental to the complex human psychophysical auditory system.

{1} Music, Physics and Engineering, Harry Olsen,
    Dover Publications, NY 1967, pg. 25.

3. RawBassist

RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    USA
    thanks man, anyone else out there have any helpful info?

4. I know this is a little off topic in regards to what you are asking, but it fascinates me how much is wasted when it comes to car audio.

It is known that when you are in the car the max you can hear is about 10 watts pure power. (1 watt is damn loud, ever heard it through a horn?) The rest is spilled outside the car.

The amazing thing is, you as a person are effectively sitting inside a speaker box. A very bad untuned speaker box.

Stick with frequencies below 100 Hz and you'll be laughing. Lower the frequency the longer the wave length. Down this low wave lengths can stretch 10's of metres. Again why it sounds better outside the vehicle. Youd be wise to chuck in some mid range stuff around 200Hz and up simply for clarity more than anything.

:D:D

Merls