Attn: Blackbird, Boplicity and other Portugese speakers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Against Will, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    How do you pronounce Seu Jorge's name? His album is very good.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Does he have a solo album? I'd be interested in hearing his own music (not just Bowie covers, although his covers are great). I saw The Life Aquatic and he has a very beautiful voice.
  3. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

He has two, "Carolina" and "Cru" both of which are available on Amazon (though 'Cru' is an import). They're very different from his stuff on "Life Aquatic", sort of a mixture of samba, bossa nova, reggae, jazz and hip-hop. I have "Carolina", and I highly reccommend it, there's a very noticable influence from Gilberto Gil on it.
  4. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    if i remember correctly, from working with manymany brazilians, it's pronounced 'sayoo zhorggay', but not so long an 'ay' tone.
    i could be extremely wrong, though...and i'm sure that i'll be told...
    ...if not xupa mi peru....;)
    also, off subject a bit....if you like reggae, try to get hold of some Cidade Negra. you will like.
  5. I'm portuguese, its like this:

si (As in sink) u(as in boo) = seu

g(as in zaza gabor) orge(as in george) = jorge
  6. Not quite.

It would be somrthing like this: Imagine the wors "say", but without the "y" and add an "oo" sound at the end of it. That's Seu, which is actually another way (used in Brazil) to write "Sr." which means "Mr." in English. And Jorge is pronounced slightly different than George. The "g's" are read without that "d" sound. Bah, is kind of hard to explain it. :p
  7. The problem with pronunciation is that it is a local phenomenon. When I lived in Brasil, I could easily tell the difference between a Baiano (from Bahia), a Carioca (from Rio de Janeiro) and a Paulista (from Sao Paulo). BTW, I recommend Baianas and Cariocas for girlfriends, literature and music; and Paulistas for business. The problem with trying to explain pronunciation in writing is that you need a standard method of representing each sound such as the International Phonetic Alphabet, and you probably wouldn't understand that without a least a semester in a phonetics class. That being said, daoftkr, Bassline_Delux and Pedro Martins all have given you useful approximations. daoftkr's explanation may be the easiest for a native English speaker, except that in the name Jorge, the final "g" is pronounced more similarly to the initial "J". The thing to remember about Brasilian Portuguese is that it is a very soft language with few glottal stops (hard "k" or hard "g" sounds). Think of the French pronunciation of Jacques. Something similar to the initial "J" sound is what I would use for both the "J" and "g" in Jorge, if I were in Brasil.

Pedro Martins has a very Brasilian attitude when he says, "Bah, is kind of hard to explain it." The Brasilians would follow that with, "so let's dance", or "play music", or engage in some other intimate enjoyable activity.
  8. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Thanks for all the help, everyone. I'm taking Portugese next semester with a Brazilian and I'm hoping to see Seu Jorge when he plays in NY this September, so the whole thing should be cleared up by then.

No matter how it's pronounced though, it's good music.
  9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The pronunciation given by Bassline Delux is the correct one for a Portuguese in Portugal. As I have had the pleasure of having lived both in Sao Paulo, Brazil and in Cascais, Portugal, I know that there are distinct differences in pronunciation between the two countries.

Aaron Schiff also explains matters very well. Heck, it often seemed to me folks on one side of the street or the other had different pronunciations, but that may have been because they were originally from different parts of Brazil.

I would pronounce the name Seu Jorge as: Say oo Zhor je. But what do I know? I speak Portuguese but am not a native speaker.

Anyhow, thanks for the heads up on Seu Jorge. I need to check out his work.

(A few minutes later.) did not do me the favor of having sound bites for Seu Jorge. It seems his music is imported and quite expensive too. Isn't that just the luck?
  10. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Thanks for the help.

I got "Carolina" his first album off Amazon through one of the independent sellers for about $14 or so (S&H made it $16 I think). And I was able to find it unimported (or officially released) on Amazon, though there is an Import as well. "Cru", his second one is going to be released in the US sometime this fall, around the same time that his tour is planned, so that should be even easier to get.

The Amazon Page I got, did you have the same one?