Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATTN: college kids!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Guss, Nov 26, 2002.

1. I got the P.L.A.N. test back today. It's a test taken by high school sophmores that is basically a practice version of the A.C.T.
    Anyway, overall I did pretty good. I got the 95 percentile for reading and english. All the others were in the high eighties or low nineties. My overall status is the 88 percentile.
    The only place I think I did bad was math. Their I placed in the 69, 70, and 72nd percentile. Does anyone know how a university may take to math scores like that? I'm not sure what to think of them. Should I be worried?

2. D. Funkalicious

D. Funkalicious

Sep 22, 2002
    My math scores on the PLAN and the ACT were relatively horrible, but as long as you do well with everything else, there really isn't anything to worry about. If your school offers the ACT prep classes, take them. They're usually worth a couple of points on the actual test, and worth the hassle.

3. Wow, from the title of the post I thought you were some ignorant baby boomer who automatically hates everyone under 40. :D

Anyways, if you search for mre posts like this, you will find my opinions on standardized tests.

I basically believe that to most school, they don't hold much importance.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Same here. I have had this debate with a few professors of mine at UMass. The majority of them also believe the above to be true.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You should be like me and go to an idiot school where it barely matters if you can read or not. Or better yet, take advantage of this advice I give you... don't go to college. Become a stuntman! Sweetest job ever, and you don't need a fancy college education. Live my dream for me... oh yeah and become a rock star too.

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Once again, I highly disagree on the standardized test thing.

Baylor offers a $28,000 scholarship to people who are in the approximately top 15% of their H.S. class and who have approximately a 31 on the ACT. I'd consider $28,000 to be pretty important!!

As some have said, they don't really look at individual scores as much as the composite. Even the low 70 percentile will still put you at approx a 25 or so on the ACT, and that's nothing to cry about.

7. you really should be worried about your math scores unless you want to do something that is crazy math intensive. I got a 470 on my SATs and just sent off my applications, and I am not too freaked bout the scores, because while they matter, mostly it is you GPA and how good your school is. Or maybe the reason why I wasn't worried is because I am a slacker?

8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

i smite thee for saying stunt men are cooler than ninjas.....how dare you

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OK I take it back, Rockstar Stuntman Ninja... Deluxe.

10. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I've said this before, but our college counselor used to work in admissions at Vanderbilt University, and she says that test scores are very important. They can easily draw a distinction between two otherwise similar students. She says that test scores are probably second most important next to overall GPA. So take the tests, take them often, take your best composite score, and send it to college.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's what you'd guess from the username!! ;)

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    d00d, you are supposed to get a 400 for just FILLING OUT YOUR NAME!

i'd be worried. very worried.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Don't go to college... it's nothing like the girls gone wild video. I've only got one girl (aside from girlfriends) to show me her boobs. It was cool though, because I was like, "Hey, didn't you say you were going to show me your boobs." So she did. I love stories with surprise endings. :eek:

14. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    if you changed your band's name to The Drive-Through Abortion Clinic, then the ladies would be throwin' themselves at you.

sorry, but pizzlestains dlx. doesn't hold a candle.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

The DTAC is my solo project. Pizzlestains Deluxe is myself and a guitarist I know from home. The main difference is Pizzlestains has a talented guitarist and a recorded song. :D

16. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    so, he mispelled his name once or twice, everyone does that. :D

17. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, no big deal. misspelling isn't nearly as bad as COMMA SPLICES!

;)

[says the kid who (mostly) spells in all undercase...]

18. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    (shakes fist in anger)

19. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    if you got a 470 on the SAT i would be worried.... I made almost 3 times what you got on the SAT... are you sure 470 was the combined score?