Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attn: EA, Bergantino, other cabinet makers: Urban URBers need you

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by basss, Aug 10, 2005.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    As a bassist working in an urban area (NYC) what I really need is a very small cabinet that can get somewhat loud and still sound accurate. I don't need huge volume. Were talking loud jazz volume.

I do gigs where it is impossible to park in front of the venue for fear of up to $100 parking ticket. This often puts me in the position of shlepping an upright and amp several blocks or more from wherever I find parking or possibly lugging my gear on the subway which necessitates a one trip load-in. I've come to the conclusion that carrying the amp behind me on a luggage cart while wheeling the bass if front is too awkward so I have been using small amps that I can carry in a shoulder bag. I haven't found too much out there besides the GK combo that works for this.

I think that there is a niche to fill here and I don't see anyone doing it. I decided to speak up because I'm sure there are others out there in my position who would love a small cabinet that can be carried in a shoulder bag and sound good in a small club. Maybe I'm crazy but I haven't seen anyone else put it out there like this.

SO - here's what I'm thinking

I don't care about the speaker configuration as long as it sounds good.

The maximum dimensions would be 13" H, 13" W, 11" D - this could be fudged a little but not much. I know this is very small but remember we don't need super loud - low and small are the key words here.

Weight couldn't be more than 20lbs.

I'm thinking maybe a neo 1x8 w/horn or neo wizzy 1x10 or something like that.

OK - get to work!

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Your closest bet is probably one of the neo 1x8's from Don Oats up at Low Down Sound.

Tom.

3. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee
    What he said. And quite close indeed to what's been asked, IMO. Where've you been during these threads?

OK - get out your phone and checkbook.

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I actually just ordered one yesterday!!! :hyper:

BUT it is a bit bigger than I would like. I know I'm being picky but after carrying it over your shoulder for 4-5 crowded NYC blocks those couple inches and few pounds add up.

5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Since EA dosen't make the VL 108 anymore toubmlus is right on
    target. The LDS 108 is also a good value as well, and you can
    get it custom made to your specific needs, as well. I pulled the most recent price from anoter thread at that time they were
    $379.00. for the Neo version. Here's macmarkt's picture of two
    LDS cabinets stacket in a vertical array. However it dose weigh
    more than 20 lbs it's 25 lbs. One day, when Don is able to do the
    lightweight cabinet construction that Epifani and others use the
    weight will go down.

Ric

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Since Don does these custom cabs, why don't you ask if he can make it smaller. Perhaps, he doesn't need to put the 1 x 8 and the tweeter and port all on the front side. Maybe the tweeter and port can go on opposite sides. I don't know if this would work but it wouldn't do any harm in asking. This way he could get the cab down to a smaller cube.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Or, he could make it a 2-way design. The 14" cube 1x8 is a 3-way cab, with a midrange and a tweeter.

Tom.

8. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Someone did order one that was shallower than 14"...

9. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I've asked Don to decrease the depth to 12". He said that he had done this before with good results. I would be hesitant to make it too much smaller with the same speakers as I don't want to decrease low end performance too much. I think this size will work for me - but smaller would always be good. It just seems that if more cabinet makers would get wise to the needs of us city dwelling URBers they could make some cash and we could have some options.

10. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    What did you think of the Phil Jones Briefcase style, where the width was cut down to 7"?

11. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee
    A 12" deep 2-way version. I think you'd be about there. Pushing the limits of physics, there MAY still be trade-offs besides max. loudness, though.

Maybe the Phil Jones is an option; I haven't tried it.

12. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Why not try a 1-way 1x10? I'd love to hear what Don could do with that.

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    What? No comments about my idea to have the tweeter and port on the sides. Geez, I would have thought it was at least a little controversial. :)

And then add a downfiring 10" woofer!

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    ACME Low B-1's have their port on the side, as port location is not critical. I would think that locating the tweeter on the side would not work very well, although it is possible that front and rear mounted tweets might create an interesting effect.

Tom.

15. pat.p

pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
  16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I can't agree with this part at all. When the port is facing a different direction from the speakers, the bass response (IME, of course) seems to be at the mercy of the room. Techies: more psychoacoustics?

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Perhaps I should have stated that Andy Lewis considers port location to be non-critical. I have had discussion with Jim Bergantino concerning the phase coherence of the sound waves coming out of the port relative to the waves coming off of the drivers, and based upon these discussions, I would be inclined to believe that the port location can have an audible effect upon the tonality of a given cab. However, I do think that locating the port on the side of the cab would be of less overall impact than locating the tweeter off-axis.

Tom.

18. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Child's play. I can do all that smoke a cigarette and scope babes all at the same time.

19. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    /bukowski voice
    "dolly's and bungie cables for all my friends."

20. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Dolly's what?