Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATTN: Electrically inclined people - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Mar 7, 2003.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ok, here's my deal: I have a Sharp MD-MS722 minidisc player/recorder that I like a lot. When I was in China my German friend plugged it directly into the wall one night and it fried the adapter (the adapter did it's job though and the unit itself is fine). So now I need to get an ac adapter that is 5volts and at least 800ma. Do you realize how impossible it is to find one of that particular voltage? The only place I can find it is Sharp's offical supplier and it costs a whopping 50 bucks! They apparently don't exist outside of this place, up until now that is.

I just found this website http://www.nimhbattery.com/digital_camera_adapters.htm and the adapter that is the very last one on the bottom of the page is listed as 5v, 1600ma. From what I understand that should be fine as long as it's 800 ma or higher. My question is about the amps. It says it's 1.5 amps. Some of the ones above it are 2 amps. Is this important? How do I know how many amps it should be? Forgive my ampsignorance. I'd be extremely grateful if you answer that question or if anyone knows where I can get a 5v, 800 ma adapter (and before you say it I'll just go ahead and say "no Radio Shack doesn't have it, neither does Wal-Mart and those units that switch to different voltages NEVER have 5v as an option. Thanks anyway.")

brad cook

2. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    1.5 Amps = 1500 mA. They obviously have a typo there. It should work fine.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Yeah what he said.

The current rating of a power supply is the max current it can supply, so having an adapter that's rated higher than what is called for will be fine.

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    :eek:
    Dear lord, my physics teacher always said a problem like this would come up.:p

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Cool, thanks! Maybe they were just rounding down. :)

brad cook

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I decided to buy this adapter off of Ebay instead of the one above. It's new and appears to have the same specs but it does't have a wall wart, it's rated for 110 and 220 (which will prevent the problem that originally destroyed the Sharp-issued adapter) and it's cheaper.

I'm hyped to be getting my MD player operational again!! And to be saving 30bucks from the manufacturer asking price for the adapter! Woohoo!!

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just wanted to let anyone that's interested know that I got the adapter in and it works perfectly for my MD unit. I'm psyched about it and I'm enjoying my MD player for the first time in about a year as we speak. Yes! This was a great option - saved me 30 bucks and it seems to be better adapter than the original too!

brad cook