Attn. Elrick a question???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godspeed68, Apr 27, 2004.

1. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Fellow Elrick owners....I just recently recieved my elrick classic god, what a beautiful instrument....anyway...ive ran into problems with my b-string, and was wondering if any of you had also ran into a dead b string when fretted....decrease in volume as well....if any of you have, please help me to figure out what is wrong with it, if anything at all.....for 3000 bucks, i would think the b-string should sound better than the local musicman...y'know???

2. Have you contacted (Rob) Elrick already? I'm sure they are more than willing to solve the problem, as most decent custom builders will...
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have three fives and the low B strings sound great on all of them. This could be a string or setup problem.
  4. Try a new set of strings. It sounds like a dud string.

The B's on the two Elrick's I've owned and others I've played have been exceptional.

5. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    naw, i go through strings like crazy, changin' them once a week, and that doesn't solve it.....i was thinking possibly a fret could be too high/low?????

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Could be, but that would only affect the string in certain positions. Do you notice that deadness everywhere, or just on certain notes?

One thing you might check is the B-string bridge saddle, to be sure it's sitting solidly, both adjustment screws are touching the bridge plate, etc.

7. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    Is the neck t/r setup properly adjusted? I got the best B-string experiences with Elrick basses. I hope you can solve that problem as soon as possible. Let us know. Good luck!
  8. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    could be, as i am not an expert on such's just hard to find someone i trust in this area to work on my bass....anyone around here from wisconsin????? haha. i'll keep tryin stuff out guys and will get back to you on it asap.

9. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I notice that the open b string is excellent, but as you work your way up the fretboard, it gets deader and deader....diagnosis???

10. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How far up the neck are you talking about? After a certain point, a string as fat as the b isn't going to sound properly. That said, i've had no problems on my elrick neckthough 6.

I just checked on my bass and the b sounds fine even up as high as the second G or A, mabey not perfectly in tune, but it sounds properly. Call Rob.
  11. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    have you checked your pickup height? it might be too close to the string when you fret. try lowering the pups a little on the b side and see if it helps. also check the witness point/break angle on the string off the saddle.